The Terminal | Teen Ink

The Terminal

March 14, 2008
By Anonymous

Have you ever lived in an airport? Like, actually lived in an airport because you had no where to go? In the movie, “The Terminal”, directed by Steven Spielberg, a new level of airport safety comes at hand. When Viktor Navorski (Tom Hanks) comes to America from Eastern Europe, he doesn’t really step out of the J.F.K international airport because he is unauthorized to do so. His country is at war, and since he doesn’t want to go back to his country he can’t step into America either. The movie is overall a very good movie.

Viktor Navorski (Tom Hanks) comes to New York from Europe but is stuck at The John Fitzgerald Kennedy International airport. His homeland got into a mess while he was on a plane and is now not authorized to enter the U.S. (step out of the airport). He has to stay in the terminal until the war in his country is over because he refuses to go back to his country. Over the period of a few weeks, Viktor gets a job at the terminal, aquirres new friends, and falls for a flight attendant named Amelia (Catherine Zeta-Jones). But the airport official Frank wishes Viktor didn’t exist. The plot is very bizarre but the movie is based on a true story.

The movie is extremely amusing with a touch of sweetness. Tom Hanks does a very good job of acting as an immigrant and the dialogue helps also. The setting was huge, so you could see the whole airport.

Compared to other comedies the movie’s ranking is pretty high. The script brings in new ways to amuse people using incorrect grammar when Viktor speaks. “But I leave any day now,” he says. The situation of the movie is partly amusing because Viktor is living in an airport and it’ something you don’t see happening everyday. The movie “Forrest Gump” can not compare to “The Terminal” because in movies general; Tom Hanks did much better in “Forrest Gump” than in this movie. His acting was superior and he really gets into character. However, “The Terminal” is much more interesting since it is based on a true story.

“The Terminal” gets an 8 out of 10 Cyclopes. This movie is recommended to anyone who likes watching comedies (even if they are cheesy). The movie does have some mature content, so it wouldn’t be too appropriate for young children.