Hacksaw Ridge | Teen Ink

Hacksaw Ridge

By ajkikkert12 BRONZE, St. Thomas, Ontario
ajkikkert12 BRONZE, St. Thomas, Ontario

Hacksaw Ridge 
2016 film 

Some major actors in Hacksaw ridge are Desmond Doss, Smitty, Dorothy, Sergeant Howell, Captain Glover, Colonel Stelzer, Tom Doss, Bertha Doss, and Harold Doss. These are the main characters of the movie. 
Hacksaw Ridge is directed by Mel Gibson, a man who bases most of his movies on war and action. This movie however is not what most people think it would be like. We would think of it being the main actor being the person who kills all the bad people, but this character, also known as Desmond Doss, does not pick up a weapon once, and instead helps the wounded not just on his side, but both. 
Desmond Doss was an American soldier fighting for freedom against the Japanese.  Desmond Doss is one of the top guys at basic training and people start getting mad by this. What triggered people the most was that he refused to take a gun to war with him. Desomd Doss, a believer in God, not only practices his beliefs at home, but on the battlefield as well. This is a movie of excelling adventure, heroism, danger, death, love, and a fan favorite movie of World War 2. Many people made fun of Desmond for not being a man because he would not pick up a gun, but his real weapon was his faith in God. He was very courageous and when all the other soldiers retreated, he stayed up on the Ridge to collect as many wounded soldiers and lower them down by his special rope tie. Every time he would find a wounded soldier, he would bring him back where he would always say “Please God, give me one more”. This movie is rated R because of some nudity, profane language and many parts of violence.  
This movie impacted me because war isn't always about how many people you can kill, but how many people you can help. Desmond Doss shows courage and shows his trust in God. He finds deep down the true meaning of war, and I think it helped me find it as well. This movie should be seen by everyone because it is a lot more than just about war.