The Forbidden Love | Teen Ink

The Forbidden Love

February 9, 2021
By ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other
ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reflect our lives through film and television


In recent years, film and television works with themes about infidelity have become popular. In 2016, the film "A Man and A Woman" was released in South Korea. Personally speaking, this is the best film discussing infidelity. It portrays the depressive emotions of a forbidden love, showing the loneliness of middle-aged men and women in extreme pain.

In Finland, under heavy snowfall, a man and woman from Korea met. The heroine has a decent designer job, but she also has a son with autism; the hero is an architect with a good salary, but he also has a daughter with depression. They bore the burden of their respective families, living so miserably. Because of the freedom and novelty in the foreign country, the similar experiences brought the two people's souls closer. Finally they indulged in a forbidden love.

Finland is known as "the country of snow". The white snow adds a mysterious atmosphere to this forbidden love. "White" means "candid", which represents the sincere feelings and desires of the hero and the heroine. Therefore, they first broke the chain of morality and fell into a forbidden love. At this time the feelings of the love were the purest and most passionate. In Finland, he is not the husband of another woman, and she is not the wife of another man. They are not the people who need to bear the burden of their respective families. As a result, a forbidden love is born.

The opposite of Finnish snow is the darkness of night. After they returned to Korea, the film often uses dim hues to depict the darkness which symbolizes "depression and pain". The heroine has to deal with the busy designer work every day, but also holds the burden of taking care of the autistic son; the hero has to complete the work of architectural design every day, but also takes care of his autistic daughter. Such depressive life created their inner pain. By chance, they met again in Korea. The two could no longer suppress their loneliness and fell in love again. But the feelings here are no longer as sincere as they were in Finland. Faced with social moral condemnation and guilt towards each other's family, their feelings of this love are timid. The director used dim hues to highlight the inner struggle between the men and the women. The darkness represents a desperate state of mind. The two extremely depressed souls once again fall into a forbidden love with moral condemnation.

The title of this movie is very straightforward, not "Pride and Prejudice" but "A Man and A Woman". Men and women are individuals stripped of all social responsibilities, naked like Adam and Eve who are lured by a snake to eat the forbidden fruit. During this forbidden love, the man and woman broke the chain of morality. The feelings here are passionate and pure, without any moral concerns, only the most primitive lust.

In recent years, film and television works with themes about infidelity have become popular. There are some reasons why plentiful people tend to be unfaithful in their marriages. Firs, with the development of society, the idea of ​​"sexual liberation" continues to challenge the traditional views of love, marriage and family. So many people begin to advocate "everyone has the right to freely pursue love." Love transcends age, gender, and even race. Therefore, the concept of "love freedom" has allowed more and more people to break the chain of morality and fall in a forbidden love. Second, nowadays people are under high stress, so they are eager to have a vent to release their stress. This movie reflects audience's desire of a true love. People hope to find a place of pure love under the high pressure life, hope to ignore all moral standards, and achieve true love.

However, in my opinion, a forbidden love is doomed to tragedy. Human are social animals. Even if we have had the urge to break all rules and fight against the world, we will eventually be bound by social moral standards. We will eventually choose to be ordinary members in the society. Therefore, a forbidden love with moral condemnation will eventually end in tragedy. As described in the film: Finally the man and the woman chose to be father and mother. In the last scene of the movie, the hero’s car slowly moved, and the surrounding darkness gradually swallowed him. Life is lonely.


The author's comments:

In recent years, film and television works with themes about infidelity have become popular. In 2016, the film "A Man and A Woman" was released in South Korea. Personally speaking, this is the best film discussing infidelity. It portrays the depressive emotions of a forbidden love, showing the loneliness of middle-aged men and women in extreme pain.