The Truman show review, by Tyler Easter | Teen Ink

The Truman show review, by Tyler Easter

April 9, 2024
By writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California
writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel more together when I am a mess." -NF on the song "Like This"


Are you sure your best friend is your best friend, not a paid actor? What if the reality you lived in, was all a lie? ‘The Truman Show’ is a film that explores the concepts of reality. It centers around a young man named Truman, who spends his entire life in a reality television show but doesn't know it…yet. This film carries themes of betrayal and lies but at its core, it is an emotional film that deals with self-discovery. As the audience watches Truman live in a “perfect world”, they are left to question the boundaries of entertainment and principles.


This film had a lot of story development. It may be slow to some viewers initially, but as the story progresses it gets better. That being said, the payoff in the end is well worth the wait. Jim Carey as Truman was the perfect casting. His embodiment of the character makes you connect with him. From his facial expression to how he carries his lines, you are fully convinced that this character is real, not just some actor working for their next check. 


Christof, the creator and director of “The Truman Show,” is a character whose actions and motivations drive the film's narrative. He is portrayed as a master manipulator who controls every aspect of Truman’s life within the show's confines. One of the most striking aspects of Christof’s character is his god-like control over Truman’s world. His reasonings behind his actions are described as protecting Truman from the harsh realities of the outside world. This is very contradicting as he is willing to go to extreme lengths to keep Truman under his control even if it means taking away Truman’s freedom. 


Aside from its engaging storyline, the Truman Show has other areas in the movie that deserve recognition and applause. Some of my favorite aspects of the film were the dialogue and acting. The conversation between characters adds depth to the story. For example, there is a scene where Truman confronts the truth about his reality, his emotional delivery is perfect. 


The message of this film revolves around the concept of free will. In this movie, we see how media can manipulate the true image of situations as Christof manipulated Truman’s life for entertainment. Ultimately the movie conveys the importance of free will and questioning the influence of media on personal experiences. Watch this film for a wild journey to the importance of self-discovery. 


The author's comments:

This is a review of the Truman Show movie.