The Social Network | Teen Ink

The Social Network

By princeofsparx DIAMOND, Manhattan, New York
princeofsparx DIAMOND, Manhattan, New York

Those who reach for the stars should never forget the flowers that bloom at their feet.

As the biggest site of 2010, Facebook is certainly garnering a lot of attention. From its millions of users to fellow functions such as liking a picture or poking someone, Facebook has become a global phenomenon. It would only be a matter of time before a movie about the origin of Facebook would be released.

Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, and Justin Timberlake, The Social Network is set in the early 2000s at Harvard University, the origin of the creation of a website that would eventually become known as Facebook. As the movie progress, lawsuits are filed, friendships are tested, and jealousy intensifies, unraveling the true story of how far Facebook has come since its creation.

I thought that this was a fantastic movie not only because I am an avid user of Facebook, but because of how authentic the storyline was. It didn't seem generic or typical, but honest and compelling. Jesse Eisenberg also portrayed the creator of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, brilliantly. The Social Network has my vote for best picture of the year and I don't seem to be the only one who thinks so; The Social Network has already picked up almost every award possible for Best Picture and is predicted to win even more prestigious awards as the awards season accelerates into full gear. The Social Network is an immensely pleasurable film to watch, a classic that will be remembered in the years to come. I recommend this film to everyone, whether they use Facebook or not; because regardless of how people perceive Facebook, their opinions will change after watching this movie. I know mine's has.