Chronicle | Teen Ink

Chronicle

March 13, 2012
By Vantaxlia BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Vantaxlia BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Combine equal parts introversion and angst, a tablespoon of rejection and just a hint of ego to achieve a pale dough, then punch that dough until it reverts to videotaping the abuse and shape into a thin strip to be baked under the heat of mediocrity; remove this sad creation once ready to snap, and enjoy the main character of Chronicle, the newest ‘kids with superpowers’ movie. This movie follows said boy as he and two cookie-cutter buddies make a mysterious discovery that leads to telekinetic abilities. Despite the slightly-less-than-original setup and heavily used ‘found footage’ film style, Chronicle dances adroitly around common pitfalls and easy corner cuts that so often ruin similar movies. For example, the movie does not ever turn into a Disney tale of turning one’s life around and living happily ever after—even supernatural powers are not enough to overcome the true and twisted personality beaten into the main character over a lifetime, and the consequences of this and other destruction seen in the flick are painfully real for all involved. Dialogue and character development, too, are astute and genuine, lending the movie an eloquent realism which proves its greatest strength. The CGI effects and preternatural elements are nice, serve believably under the plot to elevate and modernize it, but I have only praise for the writing and cast of unknowns who embodied it so perfectly.