Chernobyl Diaries | Teen Ink

Chernobyl Diaries MAG

June 3, 2012
By rebecca-rose GOLD, Shrewsbury, New Jersey
rebecca-rose GOLD, Shrewsbury, New Jersey
18 articles 12 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Every thorn is just part of the stem to a beautiful rose” - R.R.


Bradley Parker's “Chernobyl Diaries” stars a small cast that includes Jesse McCartney, Jonathan Sadowski, and Olivia Dudley. The film revolves around the site of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor in Pripyat, Ukraine, which melted down in 1986, although the movie is set in the present day.

The plot, like that of most horror movies, is simplistic.
A group of friends take an ­extreme tour through abandoned Pripyat with a local guide, Uri. That day, the city is closed for “maintenance,” but Uri takes them in through a secret, illegal entrance. Once inside, strange events occur that worry Uri. When the sun goes down, the nightmare begins. Thrills including radioactive animals and escaped human ­patients contribute to the nerve-wracking disappearance of the American tourists and Uri.

The film sets the scene for a thriller, opening with a typical “friends having fun” atmosphere that foreshadows the ­terror ahead. The through-line is a archetypal “it's all fun and games until someone dies.” The background is weak and confusing for those unfamiliar with Chernobyl.

The disappearance of each character is shown too quickly and vaguely. The movie runs for just 86 minutes and might have benefited from more time to explain what is happening. Its pace is unsteady and fails to reach a clear and exciting climax. Another strike against the movie is the poor visuals of the “people” disturbing the tourists. The audience only catches glimpses of the escaped patients in the dark. Most of the horror is lost in the confusion over what is killing the tourists.

Overall, the movie deserves 2/5 stars. The horror/thrill rating barely earns 2.5 out of 5, with occasional jump-out-at-you scares and bloody wounds. The film begins strong, with tense, heart-racing, rising action, but fails to provide a shocking climax. The conclusion doesn't answer any questions and leaves the audience disappointed and confused.


The author's comments:
I am not usually a scary-movie-person but I did not find this movie scary at all. Overall, it was a disappointment.