Beowulf: An epic miss | Teen Ink

Beowulf: An epic miss

An "epic" miss,
review of the movie Beowulf

After much anticipation, waiting anxiously for the movie Beowulf, I finally got the opportunity to enjoy it. Or rather, would have had the opportunity had it lived up to even half of the expectations I had for it. Instead I found myself thoroughly disappointed in the experience.

There was one large reason that I was so excited for this movie to hit theatres. I was a large fan of the original epic itself. I was excited to not only have read it, but to have been able to physically see it. My disappointment started when I learned the movie was very much so different from the book. Of course there will always be differences between a movie and the book that it is based off of, and I had planned to see this. However, the differences were not small, and extremely hurt the overall experience. Beowulf and Grendel's mother do not have a dragon love child!

As if changing the story wasn't bad enough in itself, they had to go even further by adding fair amounts of nudity to it. I went to see a recreation of a great piece of literature, not Beowulf and Grendel's mother in the way they are shown. I would have understood small amounts, but there was no need for this to be in the movie.

Though I was largely unimpressed, I will have to admit that it did have it's moments. The animation was stunning, and the fights were very impressive. This is one of the few movies that I was impressed with the 3D animation.

My verdict, had it not been called "Beowulf," I would have been more lenient in the review. Overall an okay movie, but I would not spend the money to see it in the theatre had I known what I would have seen. Wait for DVD.