Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight MAG

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

EmoBatz said...
i agree Twilightemo. i think that the movie was really good, and was very similar to the books, robert, is hawt, and i really love the books, but the only thing that i didn't like about the movie is the way that they made them fly and how they crawled up the trees, i thought that was kind of stupid, but other than that i thought it was good.

-EmoBatz (team edward, emmett,alice,jacob)

I think that the movie was similar and was really good, i also think that they picked good charcters and they wouldn't have picked them if they didn't think that they were good for the part. I think that they mmad eht etwilight fans proud at least to me, but I am only one person so you can disagree with me if you want but I think that the movie was good, i don't see what the big problem with robert is, i think he is cute.

alexxiiisssx said...
i love twilight, it was amazing. and the books were even better. i cant wait for midnight sun (if s. meyer finishes it) and new mooon to come outtt :D

i thought the movie and the characters were chosen well for the movie, i don't see why you all well most of you have a problem with robert, if he wasn't good for the part they wouldn't have casted him, and i think he's hot as well as taylor lautner, i thought the movie was really good and well put together but i wish they would have put blood type in the movie.

i loved the books so much i have read thhe series four times, i thought the movie was great even though they missed some of the parts i wished they would have put in there i thought it was amazingly similar and very well.

Samantha Violette BRONZE, Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Thats very good i like your descriptive words. I really love twilight and i can't wait til the next one comes. Your a very good writer.

Bells!!!! BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
i love the book...and i love all of the actors excpet one actress and it sort of ruined it for me.I just fell like Kristen (no offince to her bcause sheis a amazing actress) i just dont think she can play the roll of bella very well...one bella to another. I jsut felt she made bella more boring than really nessecary.

But your review was awesome!

katelynschw said...
i love robert pattinson he is sooooooo hot and i hope 2 marry him

church-girl said...
The book was pretty good, even if the writing was lacking in some areas, but Robert looks NOTHING like I imagined Edward would look like. They should have gotten a better director and if they didn't want the movie compared to the book, they shouldn't have made the movie.

taylor_raven said...
OMFG-i love this book but i love the actors too. i love jacob black (taylor lautner) he's so osm and hot and edward is cute

OMFG i realllllllllllllly love the movie and the book oomgomgomgomgomg oh mann thid girl is @ my school she is posting a comment to and she loves taylor laughnerand so do I!!!!!!!!!!! :) i love you guys

boohoohoooo. said...
omg twilight the book was the freekin best book ever but the movie twilight was really bad im so relieved that thers a new director. robert is nothing like edward in the books

emmyphan27 said...
Both the movie and the book were great, as long as you don't compare the two. As an adaptation, the movie wasn't very good. By itself, it was okay. Seeing the characters come to life was fun, though.

Your review was really good, although it would have been better if it "flowed" a bit more. (if it had a smooth transition from topic to topic)

short chick said...
I thought the the book was amazing! i cannot and probably will not ever find a book like it. I did like the movie a lot tho. u just have to keep an open mind and not compare it to the book.

Rebecca14 said...
Honestly, i liked your review better than i liked the movie. Edward just wasn't right at all. In my opinion, he no only looked weird, he sounded weird too. On the other hand, good piece of writing.

t00tsi3lov4 said...
i loved twilight the book more than the movie, though.

my favorite character is jacob black, he is hot

donati said...
i love the book twilight. but it is true that edward had a better personality in the book than the movies =]

tnmebd1 said...
Rob was ugly and couldn't act, Kristen couldn't act and sounded like a man. The overall acting was awful. The on-screen chemistry was awful. It was basically a few select quotes from the book (and trust me I know them all) strung together with a really bad sideshow of pictures. And if they didn't want the movie to be compared to the book then they shouldn't have made a movie at all.

SethNolan said...
Edward was kind of a brick wall in the movie. He was more upbeat and playful in the book. And the relationship between Bella and Charlie wasn't quite so awkward in the book, either.

All though the book and movie are different, I loved both of them! You did a great job on your review!