How Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Music Affects Teens

By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

Xella714 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
Studies show that people who are more into rap do drugs one time in their lives. I am pretty sure thats incorrect. Maybe say "are more likely" next time

Muk_1 said...
One question, at what point does personal responsibilty come into the equation?? These kids here lyrics and take this stuff seriously... my personal opinion is that maybe these parents, whos kids are shooting up schools, should maybe pay a little more attention to whats going on their kids' lives, and quit blaming music when theres obviously something much deeper going on there...

cookiegirl said...
I agree music has an influence on teens, it can change my mood, negative ideas such as drinking has bad influence, I personally like listening to music with deep meanings and nice meanings.  

authorkid BRONZE, Hazel Park, Michigan

"Teller of untruths, your pants have combusted!" I wish I knew the guy who came up with it. I'm borrowing it in my book. I found the saying on MLIA

usher too! he sings for everyone, not just one crowd. he doesn't objectify women either

sophi said...
totally agree that music affects a persons mood. I feel that a person should not listen to bad messages all the time, forget about self control. Why would you want to listen to something that has negative ideas that conflict with your beliefs. Its like being on a diet and spending hours a day visiting restaraunts and looking at their menu just for practicing self control, but never actually ordering anything

Cool said...
Well there are different types of rap out there.... you're just listening to the wrong rap songs, listen to guys like Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Kanye West (2004,2005, and 2007) and Common.... all positive... so are about girls but most is... well cant ruin the surprise 

jazswifty said...
yes music does affect teen however whether the effect is negative or positive depends on the type of music you listen to as you do have a choice you also have a choice in your actions not because you hear a song that talks about someone doing something wrong but fun does not mean that you should do it it all depends on the person and their self control

raindropsondaisies SILVER, Peyton, Colorado

"When you look back you will not regret what you did do; you will regret what you did not do."

From personal experience I know that it does. When there was no shoulder to cry on, there were my headphones. Music is the support system that never fails.

Thedreamcatcher, Ishpeming, Michigan
I listen to a little rap but I am an Alternative girl. Rap objectifies women too much and is all about the same stuff. Why can't people rap about anything! 

K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

many of my friends lisen to music and i cant go a say without lisening it. Teens are affected by music

nberisha BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
interesting topic, though. I would have loved it if you were more thorough 

nberisha BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

this is constructive criticism, so don't be offended.

Your paragraphs were too seperated, it looked like you were writing out bullet points with out the points. You are hammering a bit. Try to use more transitions.

Also, you said that people who listen to rap are more likely to take drugs, but provided no statistics nor a source.

One last thing, you introduced the essay by mentioning several types of music, but you really only focused on two, rock and rap. Well, actually you seemed more interested in rap. (understandable as rap is more popular nowadays, but try to give more detail on other subjects too.)

zhek-16 said...

How strict you are!

The girl did her best! Don't bite her!

sade' said...
yes; I do believe that music effects teens.&So manys ways even kno that we have are own mind but there is people who is weakmind it.

so i think it will have an affect(:

i like music

TayterTot45 said...
Okay, first, add more depth to this. cite sources to make your data stronger. second, grammar problems big time! and third, be detailed! :)

Annie said...
That was okay...it could use more of a point thought. about why people are affected by music...IDK.

Do you believe music truly effects teens??

Mariam Saeed said...
Honestly I just wrote this for an english class about the day before hahah I don't even agree with half the things I wrote here.