Every Breath You Take--The Singles | Teen Ink

Every Breath You Take--The Singles MAG

Finally, The Police have come out with a greatest hits album. The interestingly- titled "Every Breath You Take - The Singles" is a compilation of The Police's best stuff from the past thirteen years. Sting's powerful, distinctive vocals, backed by Andy Sum-mers and Stewart Copeland, are what make The Police so good.

From the opening chord stabs of "Roxanne," you know it's a classic. The opening track of this album, "Roxanne," is perhaps the song The Police are best known for. "Can't Stand Losing You" comes next and is also great. "Message in a Bottle" seems interminably long, and "Walking on the Moon" is a bit of a let-down. "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86" is a slower version of another Police classic, but it doesn't quite measure up to the original. "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" is defeated by the popness of the chorus and the title. I think they could have come up with a better one.

The second side is equally good, with standouts "Spirits In The Material World," "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic," and of course "Every Breath You Take." "Every Breath..." is very different from anything else on the album, softer and with more emphasis on the lyrics, which you just don't catch on some tracks. By the way, the lyrics are included with the tape.

Reading the lyrics shows the sense of humor that Sting possesses, which really doesn't come through in the serious music. I guess I could be wrong, and the lyrics are meant seriously, but I doubt it. Actually, it is better just to enjoy the music than worry about the words. This album comes on a chrome tape, which is in itself a reason to buy it...NOT. Or, you could go for the CD, and experience digital sound quality. And, if you don't like it, it makes a wonderful frisbee. But anyway, I really recommmend "Every Breath You Take," especially to Police newcomers who can get all their best songs on one album. n