Animals: Classic Reviews by Pink Floyd | Teen Ink

Animals: Classic Reviews by Pink Floyd

May 27, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


As I'm listening to this album, I find political lyrics probably directed towards the UK. However that isn't even close to what this album has to offer. If you don't know, Pink Floyd is a British progressive rock band that have been around since the early 60s as a more psychidelic rock band. Then Syd Barret left and the 70s Golden Era of Pink Floyd began. This era includes the ever famous albums Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall as well as other albums like Meddle, Wish You Were Here and todays review, Animals.

Animals is kind of a weird one. Known as more of a Black Sheep(literally) of the 70s Pink Floyd for having the topic of animal farm as the main focus. You may know the tracks Dogs or Pigs(Three Big Ones) but trust me, there's alot more to discover. Similar to that of Opeth's Morningrise, this includes only five tracks with the colossal Dogs at around 17 minutes in length and regarded as one of the best Pink Floyd songs of all time. Though Pigs and Sheep I think still need to be mentioned because why not? They follow the theme of animal farm both in the title and in the lyrics and compisition its self. You hear dogs barking for the first time in the track Dogs which gives you a sense of reality and a taste of what's to come. You then hear sheep in the end of Pigs and the begining of Sheep which follows the animal farm trend that I keep mentioning. We also have the intro and outro tracks of Pigs On The Wing still continuing this trend even further. I'm not sure if I should call this a concept album though unlike Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall but it follows the same trend and theme so often you moght as well call it one. That aside, this is worth checking out whether or not you liked this album originally or even Pink Floyd originally. Though, I still wouldn't put it above Dark Side of The Moon, nothing has ever beaten that yet.

I give this a 10/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

I have been asked on the Forums to do another Pink Floyd review, particularly of Wish You Were Here, and so I give you this masterpiece.