Once by Nightwish | Teen Ink

Once by Nightwish

May 29, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


Finally time to talk about Tarja's last Nightwish album. Including some of the most popular tracks Nighhtwish has ever created, Once is one of the special cases for any metal album ever. In 2005, Tarja was fired from the Nightwish gang then leading to Annette Olsen who played in Dark Passion Play and Imaginarium. Since Nightwish, Tarja has had her own solo career for the more melodic and soothing kind of music.

You may know some tracks from this album like Dark Chest of Wonders, The Siren, Ghost Love Score, I Wish I Had An Angel and Nemo. All of that easily covers at least half the tracklist and is put on a magnum opus by many Nightwish fans for many reasons. With tracks like Creek Mary Blood and The Siren, you get more of a folky/tribal vibe when it comes to the overall music its self. Tracks like Dark Chest of Wonders, I Wish I Had An Angel, and Ghost Love Score are all fun tracks to sing to, if you'd like, and practice your opera skills. There are two other tracks however after Ghost Love Score, the 10 minute epic of the album, those being Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan and Higher Than Hope. Both are more melodic and ballad-like which helps end everything the album was and Tarja's Nightwish career. Ghost Love Score I would consider to be one of the best Nightwish tracks of all time and in my top 20 epics of all time as well with the only Nightwish epic beating it is The Greatest Show On Earth. I, as well as many others, would probably want to see Tarja Turunen back in Nightwish but We still have some awesome stuff post-Tarja in my opinion.

I give this album a 10/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

We're gonna miss you Tarja Turunen.