My God-Given Right by Helloween | Teen Ink

My God-Given Right by Helloween

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Suprised to say this is my first time talking about this band at all. Helloween is a power metal band that have been around since the early 80s and come from Germany. Since then, they have had some highlights in their career such as the Keeper of The Seven Keys series, Seven Sinners, and Walls of Jericho to name a few. They have also managed to span many great bands like Blind Guardian, Edguy, Unisonic, Gamma Ray and many others mostly from their home country.
This is their most recent album and unlike the others, it incorporates some elements of heavy metal that's probably a bit of a throwback to their old days of Jericho and Seven Keys 1 and 2. Continuing with the Michael Kiske era of Helloween this is a hit or miss to many fans. Heck, The Metal Voice, who are big fans of Helloween, thought it was meh at best. As for me, I can see why some people wouldn't like it even though it's a slight change in direction, but referencing groups like Iron Maiden, Accept and Judas Priest is always good to do at least once am I right? I've noticed this albums likes to deal with politics which is a topic that you wouldn't expect a power metal band to cover. This seems to be especially true with tracks like My God-Given Right, Russian Roulè, and Lost In America.I still can see some problems though, like repetitive drumming, some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy and maybe they could've focused less heavily on the heavy metal side of them but that's just me. While they didn't reach their highest potential here, they still have enough to be good. You really just can't top the classics.
I give this an 8/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

This will begin the summer madness that is sure to drive you crazy.