Matriarch by Veil of Maya | Teen Ink

Matriarch by Veil of Maya

June 11, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


Veil of Maya is a deathcore or djent band that have only released at least three albums so far. With 2012's Eclipse being one of the shortest full length albums I have ever heard of, and it isn't too bad either. Fast forward three years to Matriarch and now it seems they truly know what they're doing and seem to show it as well. However, the full fledged review will be on in three...two...one....
Matriarch is the bands third full length album album I believe and it's one of those album that seems to go by really fast. I guess this is partially due to the incredibly short tracks and to the short length of the album its self. In fact the two shortest tracks are less than 2 minutes in length. Also, it seems as if they tried yo evolve into more of a Mathcore or metalcore based band because of the more frequent cleans on this album seeming reminiscent to bands like Protest the Hero, The Dillinger Escape Plan and As I Lay Dying. However the classic VoM sound is still there nonetheless. A quick scan of the titles and you might notice that alot of them are references to geek culture, particularly anime. For example, Aeris is a reference to Final Fantasy, Lucy is a reference to Fairy Tail, and Mikasa is a reference to Attack On Titan and I'm sure I've missed a few. I guess this explains the album cover, it looks like something made in Japan for sure. The music takes on many different forms and likes to morph as well, so you are less likely to get bored of this album. If you do then this probably isn't for you then. The album as a whole isn't too bad but it doesn't have much of the chaos you find in say Eclipse. It is an evolutionary state yes, but I don't feel it as well here. Or maybe deathcore just isn't my thing, one of the too.
I give this a 7.5/10. I can sense potential within it which, for the most part, they did succeed, however there were some moments that just felt off. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

Kind of a weird one for me, I know, but what can I say here. I am trying to make this diverse.