The Fray - "The Fray" | Teen Ink

The Fray - "The Fray"

February 8, 2009
By Elizabeth_W BRONZE, Oak Ridge, New Jersey
Elizabeth_W BRONZE, Oak Ridge, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Almost four years ago, The Fray released their debut album, “How To Save A Life,” and sold over two million copies in the United Sates. Finally, The Fray has returned. On February 3, 2009, they released their highly-anticipated sophomore record, simply titled “The Fray.” Since their first record was extremely successful, this piano-rock band was definitely under pressure to create a great collection of music all over again. Fortunately, they succeeded.

“You Found Me,” the new single on the CD, has become quite popular since its release in November 2008. It reached #7 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, and is being used to promote the fifth season of the TV series “Lost.” Isaac Slade, lead singer and pianist of The Fray, begins the single quietly at the piano, and turns it into a remarkable rock song that will undoubtedly be stuck in your head after only hearing it once.

Another song, “Absolute,” is particularly engaging with beautifully poetic lyrics. In “Ungodly Hour,” Joe King, guitarist and back-up singer, steps into Slade’s normal place and sings this soft, emotional song that will certainly tug at the listener’s heartstrings. At the close, Dave Welsh’s guitar solo completes the mesmerizing effect this song produces. “We Build Then We Break” is a total surprise, being much darker and edgier than anything else The Fray has written. It displays their amazing talent and diversity.

The overall sound of The Fray is refreshing when compared to the bland conformity of rock artists today. Slade’s distinct voice is enthralling, and, in this album, he shows off his wide vocal range. On the drums, Ben Wysocki is crisp and precise, perfectly tying together the music. Conclusively, I would recommend this CD to anyone who is looking for music that doesn’t blend in with the typical selection that the rock genre offers. This album will not disappoint.