On My Block: Coming of Age Story with Street Smart Kids | Teen Ink

On My Block: Coming of Age Story with Street Smart Kids MAG

December 3, 2019
By mayamilk BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
mayamilk BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“On My Block” is a coming-of-age story featuring four smart and street-savvy kids trying to get through high school. This action-packed show features one neighborhood in inner-city Los Angeles, where the teens are trying to get their friend out of a gang, and hunting for the elusive RollerWorld treasure. The characters continually face danger and dilemmas, such as gangs, violence, and threats to self-esteem. They each have a diverse personality, which makes the show even more interesting. 

Monsé (Sierra Capri) is a strong, brave, and selfless person who always puts friends before herself. Ruben (Eric Neil Gutierrez) is a girl-obsessed, determined, yet insecure young man, and “a wizard of words.” Sometimes that backfires when he is nervous and spits out the wrong thing, getting him into trouble. Jamal (Brett Gray) is a delicate, dramatic, smart teen.

He has a strong relationship with Ruben’s abuela, as she is his RollerWorld partner and advisor for anything he needs, good or bad. Cesar (Diego Tinoco) is a complex character who is somewhat sensitive, but also a dynamic leader of the group. The drama is infused with humor, like when someone jumps them to steal their money and says, “Put your hands up and give me your money” and Ruben replies, “How are we supposed to get our money if our hands are up?”

The show is very relevant to the teen population, and the storylines are relatable. “On My Block” does a great job showing viewers the struggles with growing up in general (love, loss, puberty, navigating friendships and school) as well as the struggles of growing up in South Central Los Angeles (gangs, crime, violence).  I give “On My Block” two thumbs up. Tune in to Netflix to watch.