ARCANE | Teen Ink

ARCANE

By Natitoon GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
Natitoon GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

This Netflix series came out in 2021 and it is a French-American production. The story is based on the video game League Of Legends and tells the story of two cities called Piltover and Zaun, the two cities create inventions that affect the plot, on the one hand one creates drugs that transform people and another an invention that combines magic with technology respectively. The series is for ages 16 and up because there is drama, language and action for a mature audience.

The two cities are super different; one is modern (Piltover) and the other (Zaun) not so much, since it is an underground city to Piltover A.K.A an undercity . Both cities are antagonists and are in permanent conflict.

The story follows the lives of two sisters, Violet or “Vi” and Powder, who are orphaned due to a war between the cities. The oldest (Vi) was very shocked because she witnessed the tragic death of her parents; Powder was very small and did not keep those memories, but there are traces of the emotional impact of that event.

They both grow up with two other children named Mylo and Claggor in Zaun under the care ofVander (a thief, tavern keeper and revolutionary) who teaches them what they know. Vader is also the leader of a group of rebels.against Silco (the main villain).

There is trouble between the sisters because Vi thinks Powder is too young to get involved in Vander's struggles, however, the relationship between the sisters is mostly positive.

On one of their missions something goes tragically wrong, Powder in an attempt to help her friends and save her sister activates a bomb and Vander dies, so Vi, in her frustration, blames her sister and hits her for what happened. Powder is traumatized. Powder thinks that her sister is abandoning her and this seriously affects her. From then on, each one goes their own way and that leads them to become different people.

Vi stays in Zaun and Powder goes to Piltover, welcomed and manipulated by Silco (the villain of the series). Silco takes her in because she reminds him of himself and also because he sees that she has a talent for weapons. Powder is influenced because she resents Vi and begins to see Silco as a second father. As the plot progresses it is seen that Powder has an alter ego called Jinx. Jinx arises as a result of Silco's manipulation and Powder's possible disorders (traumas). This name arose as an insult because people said that Powder/Jinx brought bad luck.

Powder's personality changes when she is Jinx, that is, she goes from being calm to behaving like a crazy person. Silco knows how to manipulate this situation for his purposes.

Vi (the older sister) on the other hand develops a passive aggressive personality, that is, she replaces emotional pain (the death of her parents, guilt and frustration for her sister) with the search for physical pain. She has a dominant, self-demanding personality and seeks to be in control of everything. She constantly exposes herself to danger and challenges authority, but at the same time she worries that innocent people will pay for her problems.

After her sister disappeared she is arrested and is in jail for years. When he goes out, his first objective is to find his sister and she thinks that is being captured and treated as a prisoner, but it is not so. She has a hero conflict because she takes too many risks to help people. She wants to save her family and the city where she lives, that's why she joins the police and does well because she is a warrior and determined.

Vander is Vi's adoptive father and has a complex personality because he tells Vi that violence is not the solution to everything but he still uses it and teaches her to fight. He is Silco's brother and was previously his ally, but after developing different methods of seeing life they become enemies. He is known as the underground hunter. And the hound of the underground. He is a strong warrior, loyal, wise and supportive because he takes responsibility for Vi, Powder, Mylo and Claggor even though they are not his biological kids and he helps those who need it. Even though he tries to be a good person, he cannot escape his past and dies tragically.

Many believe that he is not completely dead and he will become a werewolf in the upcoming season.

Silco is a cold, manipulative and intelligent character. He is the villain of the story because he causes the most problems. Their goal is to make Zaun independent with terrorist methods. He is considered a sociopath because he has no empathy. Only vulnerable to Jinx/Powder.

Caitlyn is a young police officer and Vi's partner. They met in prison. They get along well because they have opposite personalities. One (Caitlyn) is calm while the other is intense. Caitlyn has a stubborn and very intelligent personality, she is also responsible and cautious. Vi teaches her to be freer and more risky.

Jayce is an ambitious and idealistic young man, who as a child suffered a trauma that affected his personality, has narcissistic traits and feelings of superiority. He is a great leader and intends to unify both cities. He is friends with Caitlyn and ends up helping Vi against Silco.

Victor is Jayce's friend and assistant and is a scientist. He attempts to cure diseases by fusing magic with technology. His way of being obsessed With science, he represses what he feels and has feelings of inferiority due to his physical limitations.

Sevika is Silco's assistant. Before she worked for Vander but then she changed sides. She is extremely loyal to Silco and has a difficult relationship with Jinx.

Mel is one of the council members and is an ally of Jayce. She is intelligent and charismatic because she knows how to manipulate people. She is also good at painting. He has authority figure problems because he has a difficult relationship with his mother. He has a stubborn side. Despite suffering pain she manages to advance towards her political goals. Her mother treats her like a child, constantly underestimating her even though she is an adult. Mel learns to make her own decisions and be a better leader.

Knot of the first season: When Vi finds her sister, at first they are excited but Jinx is suspicious and conflictive so they end up fighting. Vi tries to save Jinx but her sister is too different and she realizes that she is mentally affected. (Jinx has problems because she hears voices) Silco's role is complicated because she tries to convertFence in an independent nation and doesn't mind using violence to achieve it. For him, Vi represents an obstacle to that purpose.

Outcome of the first season:Vi and Jinx end up becoming enemies because one (Jinx) rejects her sister's help and becomes a 100% villain. I saw Terminal working with Caitlyn (a police officer) to stop Jinx from committing more crimes entrusted by Silco. Jinx ends up launching a missile towards the Piltover council possibly killing Caitlyn's mother and the other members.

My opinion:I like this series because there are complex characters, that is, no one is one hundred percent good or bad. And there is an interesting plot because it shows political, social and family problems. Most of the characters have some form of trauma but manage to handle it.

My favorite character is Powder/Jinx because she is neither 100% bad nor good. Also, I find the relationship he has with his sister interesting because there is obsession and love/hate at the same time. Powder has abandonment issues and doesn't like to be alone. Even though they love each other, Vi is not mature enough to take care of her sister and herself. When they meet again, things are more complicated because Jinx blames her sister for what happened to her and tries to manipulate her against Caitlyn because she is jealous of her. Vi cannot accept that her sister has changed and is now a different person. Jinx is psychopathic and dangerous.

Another thing I like is that the music is catchy. The entire soundtrack is exciting. My favorite songs are Playground by Bea Miller and Enemy by Imagine Dragons. One fact that I find cool is that the music goes with the characters.

This series mixes 3D and 2D animation and has a rough, detailed but realistic style. Bright colors predominate.

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

noescinetodoloquereluce.com/2021/11/no-es-arte-todo-lo-que-reluce-arcane-league-of-legends.html#:~:text=Riot%20lo%20 ha%20 done %20 very, I%20 wonder%20in%20 every%20cap.

noescinetodoloquereluce.com/2021/11/critica-arcane-league-of-legends-serie-netflix.html.

open.spotify.com/playlist/0gByO0lWoBUf7B7Ss6YpjW?si=4d2dd5c556fe4ef2.

Arcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

This Netflix series came out in 2021 and it is a French-American production. The story is based on the video game League Of Legends and tells the story of two cities called Piltover and Zaun, the two cities create inventions that affect the plot, on the one hand one creates drugs that transform people and another an invention that combines magic with technology respectively.  The series is for ages 16 and up because there is drama, language and action for a mature audience.

Vi stays in Zaun and Powder goes to Piltover, welcomed and manipulated by Silco (the villain of the series). Silco takes her in because she reminds him of himself and also because he sees that she has a talent for weapons. Powder is influenced because she resents Vi and begins to see Silco as a second father. As the plot progresses it is seen that Powder has an alter ego called Jinx. Jinx arises as a result of Silco's manipulation and Powder's possible disorders (traumas). This name arose as an insult because people said that Powder/Jinx  brought bad luck.

Vander is Vi's adoptive father and has a complex personality because he tells Vi that violence is not the solution to everything but he still uses it and teaches her to fight. He is Silco's brother and was previously his ally, but after developing different methods of seeing life they become enemies. He is known as the underground hunter. And the hound of the underground. He is a strong warrior, loyal, wise and supportive because he takes responsibility for Vi, Powder, Mylo and Claggor  even though they are not his biological kids and he helps those who need it. Even though he tries to be a good person, he cannot escape his past and dies tragically.

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

Arcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

Arcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

open.sArcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

open.sArcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Vi stays in Zaun and Powder goes to Piltover, welcomed and manipulated by Silco (the villain of the series). Silco takes her in because she reminds him of himself and also because he sees that she has a talent for weapons. Powder is influenced because she resents Vi and begins to see Silco as a second father. As the plot progresses it is seen that Powder has an alter ego called Jinx. Jinx arises as a result of Silco's manipulation and Powder's possible disorders and trauma. This name arose as an insult because people said that Powder/Jinx brought bad luck.

After her sister disappeared she is arrested and is in jail for years. When she gets out, her first objective is to find her sister and she thinks that is being captured and treated as a prisoner, but it is not so. She has a hero conflict because she takes too many risks to help people. She wants to save her family and the city where she lives, that's why she joins the police and does well because she is a warrior and determined.

Vander is Vi's adoptive father and has a complex personality because he tells Vi that violence is not the solution to everything but he still uses it and teaches her to fight. He is Silco's brother figure and was previously his ally, but after developing different methods of seeing life they become enemies. He is known as the underground hunter. And the hound of the underground. He is a strong warrior, loyal, wise and supportive because he takes responsibility for Vi, Powder, Mylo and Claggor even though they are not his biological kids and he helps those who need it. Even though he tries to be a good person, he cannot escape his past and dies tragically.

Silco is a cold, manipulative and intelligent character. He is the villain of the story because he causes the most problems. His goal is to make Zaun independent with terrorist methods. He is considered a sociopath by some fans because he has no empathy. Only vulnerable to Jinx/Powder.

Caitlyn is a young police officer and Vi's partner. They met in prison. They get along well because they have opposite personalities. One (Caitlyn) is calm while the other is intense. Caitlyn has a stubborn and very intelligent personality, she is also responsible and cautious. Vi teaches her to be freer and more risky. At first they didn't like each other much but they quickly bonded. 

Victor is Jayce's friend and assistant and is a scientist. He attempts to cure diseases by fusing magic with technology. His way of being obsessed With science, he represses what he feels and has feelings of inferiority due to his physical limitations, like the fact that he is sickly and walks with a cane and crutches due to weak legs. 

Mel is one of the council members and is an ally and love interest of Jayce. She is intelligent and charismatic because she knows how to manipulate people. She is also good at painting.  She has authority figure problems because she has a difficult relationship with her mother. She has a stubborn side. Despite suffering pain she manages to advance towards her political goals. Her mother treats her like a child, constantly underestimating her even though she is an adult. Mel learns to make her own decisions and be a better leader.

Knot of the first season: When Vi finds her sister, at first they are excited but Jinx is suspicious and conflictive so they end up fighting. Vi tries to save Jinx but her sister is too different and she realizes that she is mentally affected. (Jinx has problems because she hears voices) Silco's role is complicated because he tries to turn the undercity into an independent nation and doesn't mind using violence to achieve it. For him, Vi represents an obstacle to that purpose.

Outcome of the first season:Vi and Jinx end up becoming enemies because one (Jinx) rejects her sister's help and becomes a 100% villain. Vi starts working with Caitlyn (a police officer) to stop Jinx from committing more crimes entrusted by Silco. Jinx ends up launching a missile towards the Piltover council possibly killing Caitlyn's mother and the other members.

My favorite character is Powder/Jinx because she is neither completely bad nor good. Also, I find the relationship she has with her sister interesting because there is obsession and love/hate at the same time. Powder has abandonment issues and doesn't like to be alone. Even though they love each other, Vi is not mature enough to take care of her sister and herself. When they meet again, things are more complicated because Jinx blames her sister for what happened to her and tries to manipulate her against Caitlyn because she is jealous of her. Vi cannot accept that her sister has changed and is now a different person. Jinx acts psychopathic and dangerous.

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

Arcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

Arcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

Arcane

Natalia Elise Panfichi Sanborn

Sources:

netflix.com/pe/title/81435684.

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcane.

youtu.be/3Svs_hl897c.

youtu.be/V8ILmeQBV-c.

youtu.be/63HfFRFSgbk.

youtu.be/RHaGlNDY0Oo.

youtu.be/FOlNnLL9bQM.

youtu.be/1mgaA47b590.

filmaffinity.com/es/film615684.html.

leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Mel.

youtu.be/5RXDJJllHdE.

youtu.be/jllmfRcol0c.

youtu.be/C-ONZR9vebw.

Saw this on Netflix.