Aldnoah.Zero | Teen Ink

Aldnoah.Zero

By Middle SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Middle SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"If they do not now accept our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air the likes of which has never been seen on this earth." -President Truman

The popular anime of 2014-2015, Aldnoah.Zero was created by A-1 Pictures with a ton of well-known staff and potential. It was action-packed and contained strong drama. The 3D animations were done fantastically despite the limit and the animations themselves were dazzling. This mecha anime started strong and ended all the same.

Set in 2014, the story tells of Mars splitting from Earth with their own form of technology for the royals, known as Aldnoah. Episode one does an amazing job of showing the feelings between the two planets and the feelings of the Martian Princess, who seeks peace and to end the war that’s been raging since 1972. All throughout the first season of 12 episodes, there is constant drama and mecha’s fighting emotionally and physically to see her  one wish. Every episode is filled with at least one fight scene to show the emotions. The only problem I felt with that was that it appeared to be a random Martian coming down to Earth to pick on the struggling planet. By the end of the episode, Earth would win all because of one protagonist, Inaho.
    Aldnoah.Zero is a show that depends on you and your opinion. There are two protagonists, Inaho of Earth and Slaine of Mars. It was up to you to decide who was in the wrong and who was in the right. To me, however, Inaho was too flat a character to be liked. He never showed any emotions; he was always calm and always won. It felt like he was a 100% victory guaranteed throughout the show. Slaine, the Martian, on the other hand, was very round. He showed every emotion: anger, depression, glee, etc. He didn’t always win, too, unlike the Earthling.

The second season just finished a few days ago with an amazing ending. There were a few questions left unanswered, but I personally like that. The ending had such a powerful bang because the two boys finally spoke AND saw each other. In season one, they fought together for the princess once without seeing each other. Then, at season one’s finale, they got in a fight, shooting each other down in the dark before Slaine fled. That was their only communication. However, in season two, they didn’t see each other again until the last two episodes where they once again fought for the princess. Then in the final finale, they had one last collision in their robots before landing on Earth, where they were finally face-to-face.

Aldnoah.Zero was more than what I expected: beautiful art, amazing mechas, astonishing drama and a plot I couldn’t have thought up myself. The ending was more than what I could’ve wished for. I loved the characters, even with Inaho being so flat. I loved the music and the animation. It was an anime I loved to watch and it’s one I’m not embarrassed to admit I’ve seen. It had a strong beginning and a strong ending, and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

animu