Short Life of Marissa | Teen Ink

Short Life of Marissa

February 20, 2012
By sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
sweetangel4life GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
19 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Romeo and Juliet ( Quote Act II, Sc. II).

"Let them eat cake."
Marie Antoinette


Chapter 1

On the night of the full moon, Marissa emerged from her door quietly, hoping the creaking noise wouldn’t wake her mom and dad. They didn't know.

“Oh, my God! I am so sorry.” Marissa was apologizing to the boy she’d just run into.

“It’s okay,” said the boy. “I’ve been knocked down by many running people.”

“Football?”

“Excuse me?” the boy asked, confused at Marissa’s fragment.

“Football-do you play it?”

“I…yes.”

“Oh.” After a long, quiet time, Marissa planned her escape of awkward embarrassment. “I have to…” Marissa could feel it, could feel nature starting its ways on her again. She looked up at the sky. It was too late. Her newly-painted fingernails were growing, turning into brown, sharp points. Her teeth pointed sharply and showed ravenous wants to bite and chomp. She ran away, faster than the average human, so he couldn’t see the monster she was becoming, the monster she became once a month. She was a werewolf.

Chapter 2

“Stupid! Stupid! STUPID!” Marissa growled as she paced around the little hideout for wolves. She was almost a full wolf again. She had fur patches on her body and was on all fours, her claws digging vigorously into the soft, wet, earthen ground. “You are so stupid, Marissa. Why would you say ‘football’?” She always talked to herself when she was angry.

“You are so stupid, Marissa. Why would you say ‘football’?” mocked a familiar voice.

“Go away, Jasper. I’m not in the mood for being annoyed by the king of the chipmunks.” Jasper was like the brother she never wanted-wait, he is!

“What’s up, little sis?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Jazz. I just want to continue like this, but without you.”

“Well, goodness, Marissa. Take a chill pill. Even though you’re always grumpy and mean, do I get any special treatment?”

“Sure, carefully.”

“What?”

“Carefully.”

What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It’s all I’m going to answer to you from now on.”

“Sisters,” Jasper muttered.

“Okay!” Marissa collapsed under the pressure he was giving her. Just by looking at her the way he was just sort of…intimidating. “I’ll tell you. Fine.”

“I like Chris Michaelsfield.”

“You smell of him. I didn’t think that you would’ve…with…Do you know what he is?” After a moment, the absurdity of what Marissa told him made him angry. She doesn't even know what creature he is.

“A human?”

“No! He’s a demon!” Jasper was whispering, but keeping the harsh tone in his voice.

Marissa snorted. “Chris Michaelfield? A demon?”

“Explain why I saw him with the devil and how he was giggling and planning.”

“He was with Ruth Wine? Are you talking about the school Goth authority-hating black-haired little boyfriend-stealing Jesus-hating-death-worshiper? As in the Ruth Wine?”

“No, the other one. Yes, her! Last month, I saw them together and they were acting as wickers! And then he said, ‘Bring forth the Niphilim, and I will pull out their evil and kill their good. They will be mine!”

“I think you’re just trying to scare me.”

“Think again,” said a voice. Marissa and Jasper both turned around to see who it was.

Chris Michaelsfield.


Chapter 3

“What do you want from us?” Jasper asked.

“I don’t want anything from you, it’s your dumb-headed sister I want.”

“Hey, I don’t know what your problem is, but-”

“Jasper!” Marissa half whispered and half yelled to her foolish brother. This can’t be happening, she thought. It isn’t. This is all a dream. She’d never sneaked out her house to change into a wolf and she was really still thirteen and this was all a horrible dream. She wished this were the case.

She quickly ran as fast as she could, with her older brother at her heels. If she could just make it home…

“You can’t escape me!” yelled Chris. He was right next to her.

“Watch me. I’ll get away from you,” she said, more to herself to make her feel better than she did to the demon. As if a magical god was answering her dear prayers, she’d run into a small tunnel of some sort. “I don’t remember a tunnel being here before,” she said. She’d stopped running and Jasper was right next to her now.

“Marissa, we aren’t in a tunnel. He’s playing mind tricks with you.”

But Marissa would hear nothing of that nonsense. She was safe for now.

Suddenly, Chris had her and was dragging her to his love, Ruth.

Marissa woke to the humming of Scarborough Fair, the Simon and Garfunkel version.

Epilogue

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme

Remember me of one who lives there.

She once was a true love of mine.

“Don’t speak,” said a voice.

“Where-”

"I said don't speak."

Marissa started to thrash wildly. She wanted out, and the fact that her ankle was chained and so was her arms, she was scared. Marissa started to pray in her head. he felt bad.

And then she was killed.


The author's comments:
This was something I'd written at a summer camp in a writing class. We were supposed to write a story that started with, "on the night of the full moon." the first thought I come up with was werewolves. I didn't get but two pages because our time was limited. We worked on our story for six weeks, but we had little time. I hope you like it!