Mist-erious Superhero | Teen Ink

Mist-erious Superhero

April 14, 2012
By alex_gold SILVER, Southlake, Texas
alex_gold SILVER, Southlake, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
'You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair - the sense that you can never completely put on the page what's in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page.'

Stephen King


I get snickers in the hallway. People don’t give me the time of day, but I’m all right with that. If I were popular, I wouldn’t want to talk to me either. Someone shouts, “Hey Ned! Did you hear? Mist has struck again!”

I roll my eyes. Fools. “Mist” doesn’t exist.

People push past me and crowd around the guy’s phone, watching the news report.

“The mayor’s daughter was kidnapped this morning.”

I cannot believe that these high school freaks actually listen to the news during their free time- and they think that I’m weird.

“The kidnapper was found by his car on route 112, hands and feet bound by ice…”

What a waste of my time. I am not a model citizen, so why act like one?

“Mayor Sheldington’s daughter was later found at her house, sleeping in bed. Thanks to Mist.”


I leave the barren walls, graffiti strewn lockers, and guarded hallways of what everyone else calls “school”.
I stop by the bank on my way home. My hands get chilled. Ignoring the frost forming on my fingers, I give the bank manager a handshake- thanking him for his time- and leave.

The news headline that next day reads: “Mist Has Struck At The Bank! Get The Chilling Scoop About The Apprehended Bank Robbers!”

Fools. Mist doesn’t exist.


The author's comments:
This is something that I submitted into a contest! The prompt was to create your own superhero in under 250 words. Please let me know what you guys think!