Nakoma | Teen Ink

Nakoma

By reidaboutme SILVER, Alden, Kansas
reidaboutme SILVER, Alden, Kansas

"To be nobody- but- yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."-ee cummings

“Classic Pocahontas. Always running off. I have to be the sensible one, the responsible one, the one that has to make sure she shows up on time. Like now. Her father is coming home from a fortnight, and she has run off again! I’m not always going to be around to take care of her. Soon I will be married to Elki, and I will have my family to look after.
“Pocahontas! Come down here!” I yelled up at her figure standing on the ledge. I knew she would be here. She has come here ever since we were little. We were 5 the first time she brought me here, woke me up in the middle of the night and said “I have something to show you.”
She’s always been like that. Free spirited and doesn’t take no for an answer. When we were little I used to want to be more like her. But now as we’ve gotten older, I realize how immature it all is. Our main purpose in life is to marry, have children and keep our tribe strong. We can’t do that if everyone is always doing their own thing.
I was brought out of my mental rant as I saw Pocahontas leap from the ledge. ‘Should’ve seen that one coming.’ I sighed.
A few seconds passed after she dove into the water, and I started to worry. Where did she go?
“Pocahontas? Where are you?” I yelled into the water.
I’ve been friends with Pocahontas for many years now. And her childish actions still take me by surprise. My canoe had been flipped over.
I came out of the water angry. We were already late! We didn’t have time to play around. But then I saw her laughing face. She spit a mouthful of water in my face, and I lost it in laughter.
No matter how aggravating she can be, Pocahontas is my best friend.

I don’t know what it’s like in other tribes, but in ours, we are grown up to hate white people. I’ve seen their destruction and selfishness towards our country and I’ve heard the stories of their murders. Not just murder to the people, but also to the land. Our land is beautiful and unique and so very alive. White people come in and tear it up, not even stopping to think of the damages.
So you can see how negatively everyone reacted the day white people stormed our beaches. Their ship was a sign of war. War was coming, and our tribe is already making preparations for it. I’m worried for Elki. A White Man a couple years go killed his father. He still harbors his need for revenge. I’m worried he might go after the White People with no thought, he could be hurt.
I’m also worried for Pocahontas. I know her, and I know she will be curious about the White People. She might go looking for them. Looking for trouble. She could have such a good life with Kokoum. Why won’t she just be happy with that?
My mind is whirling with all these worries. I can’t sleep because of them.
Our world would be so much better without White People.

I knew she was up to no good. I saw Pocahontas sneaking around yesterday. Tonight I’m doing something about it. She doesn’t realize the danger she is putting herself in. If she is befriending one of those heathens, she’s putting all of us in danger too.
“I don’t know what to do.” I tell Elki. He always gives the best advice. “She’s my best friend, but she won’t listen to me.”
“Well who would she listen to then?” He asks me.
“Her father.” I tell him. “I can’t tell him though. She would never forgive me.”
“You are doing the right thing. She will see that eventually.” He tells me. I’m so glad I have Elki. He is calm and strong. Just what I need to balance out my constant worry.
“I’ll watch her tonight, if something happens, I’ll tell her father.” I promised him and myself. I just hope I was doing the right thing.

Pocahontas finally did it. The second I saw the White Man with her, I couldn’t keep her secret anymore. She would know I’m helping her eventually. Kokoum, Elki, and some other warriors went off to retrieve her. I’m waiting for them to return.
Pocahontas runs in, stares at me with disgust, and runs into the woods again. I’m doing the right thing.  I tell myself over and over. It’s become my mantra while I wait for them to return.
I see Elki return with some other warriors. They are carrying someones body.
Oh no.  I see it’s Kokoum and I fall to the ground.
“Nakoma. This isn’t your fault. You saved Pocahontas.”
“I killed Kokoum.” I cried.
“No. A White Man did. And we will get revenge on those savages.” There was hardness in his tone that frightened me.

When Pocahontas came and explained things to me, I didn’t really believe her. But seeing her throw herself over John Smith, I finally understood how deep her feelings for him went. She really was in love wit him.
I thought at first, it was because John Smith was another adventure. She was curious and he was unknown to her. But it wasn’t that at all. Maybe it started at curiosity, but now it was much more. They are truly in love. More in love than I have ever seen in this tribe.  I wish I had that kind of love. I said to myself.
I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked back to Elki. Maybe I do.

Story about Pocahontas told from her best friend, Nakoma's point of view. 

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Well done! It's an original take on the story, and a refreshing one. Well-told, as well. Nice job!

Sharkbait SILVER, Grant Park, Illinois

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

I really liked this piece! It was so unique and original. It's nice to see a different point of view once in a while.