Super | Teen Ink

Super

January 21, 2015
By reidaboutme SILVER, Alden, Kansas
reidaboutme SILVER, Alden, Kansas
9 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be nobody- but- yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."-ee cummings


Destiny is a funny thing. Some believe destiny to be more grandeur. They think every person has a specific destiny, and every choice they make is getting them closer and closer to their fate. “Destiny is written in stone.” You might hear them say. Others believe that destiny is more like a river, ever flowing and changing. Your destiny is something you decide. The decisions you make decide where you go.
I’m not sure which I believe to be true, but regardless, in this moment I know that this is what I was made for. I finally found my destiny.

I was born with super powers. I’m not sure why or how, but I’ve always been able to do things others can’t. It started as small stuff, animals always did what I said, and I won arguments with my parents way too much. As I got older, I figured out animals weren’t the only beings I could control. With just the power of my voice, I could manipulate humans. I knew I had powers but what was I supposed to do with them? When I was about 14, it finally all came together, I couldn’t just have this power and not do anything with it. I was given a gift and I need to use it to change the world. While the rest of my classmates were going through puberty and trying to pluck up the courage to flirt with girls, I was out talking to random strangers, practicing my abilities. I didn’t tell anyone about my powers, not that I necessarily had friends to tell.
As the months went on my powers grew stronger. I started using them more, convincing my teacher to move the paper due date back a few days, or cancel it altogether. I made sure I wasn’t too obvious; I didn’t want my secret getting out yet.
I was starting to make a plan for my future, my checklist went as followed:
1. Takes notes from Superhero movies
2. Make Costume
3. Create a name for myself  
4. Create a plan for my Destiny
I did my research. And by research I mean I watched every super hero movie out there and took diligent notes. I knew what moves worked and what didn’t.
I designed my costume, a light green suit. A cape would get in my way, but I decided to add it just for the emphasis. I’ve decided to call myself ‘The Emerald Creature.’ My costume is green, and creature just sounds cool. Now I need to come up with a plan to reach my destiny, world domination.
I guess I forgot to tell you I am the villain.

I would have quit school long ago if it weren’t for Clarissa. She is the only person I’ve ever met who rivals my doom and gloom. She’s also the only person who knows about my superpowers, and what I intend to do with them.
“So you’re just gonna walk in the governors office? And then what?” She asked me when I told her about my plan.
“Then I’m going to ask to speak to the president.” I informed her, acting as if she was stupid that she didn’t understand.
“And he’s gonna listen to you? A 16 year old boy?” She was doubtful, but then again, she was always doubtful.
“You forget I have powers.” She crinkled her nose and sat back on the stairs, where we were eating lunch together, just like we always have for the past 131 days. I’ve counted.
“Come on Clara this is gonna work. And then we are gonna get what we’ve always talked about!”
“World Domination?” She asked jokingly. I was glad she was in a good mood, even if it was at the expense of my plan. When Clarissa was in a good mood, I was in a good mood. That’s what love is I guess.
“Well we will focus on The United States first.” She finally cracked one of her rare and beautiful smiles. A smile from Clarissa was like when the sun was shining through the rain. She was the light in my dark world.

Everyone always underestimates teenagers. They call us weak or stupid, too young to understand ‘the real world’. 
While I’ve always resented the older generation for this, now I am thankful for their naivety. Because of adult’s inability to realize that teenagers are a threat, I walked straight into the governors office with no problem.
I spotted the secretary’s desk and walked up, with my best charming, innocent smile that I spent weeks perfecting in the mirror. My light blue eyes and soft blond hair tended to put people at ease before I even spoke. People often compared me to a puppy, impossible to fear. At school, I resented how no one took me seriously. Which is why I tended to wear black eyeliner and black clothing. If I presented myself as a full blown weirdo, my classmates tended to stay away. I didn’t need anyone in my life. Besides Clarissa. Remembering Clarissa, and the reason I was even here, I turned to the secretary.
“Hello I have a meeting today with Gov. Adams.” I looked into her eyes and willed her to believe me.
“Of course! I’ll lead you to his office. What is your meeting for again?” She had a soft voice. I couldn’t tell if this was natural or because she was under my control.
“My school paper won a contest. We get an exclusive interview with the governor.” I lied off the top of my head. Lying came easy for me, I don’t know whether this was a result from my voice or I was just naturally very cunning.
She nodded her head like she knew what I was talking about. Stupid human.
“He’s in there, just knock.” She led me to the door.
I waited for her to walk away so there wouldn’t be any witness’ to the crime I was about to commit. Well if it was illegal to manipulate a person of authority to do my bidding.
“Come in.” He yelled after I knocked softly, wanting to seem all the innocent.
“Hello.” I said as I walked in. Gov. Adams was a sweet old man, and I almost felt a twinge of regret when I spoke my next words. “Call the president please.” I commanded, wasting no time.
Gov. Adams must have a weak mind, because he listened without another word from me.
With a few words from Gov. Adams that included ‘Emergency’ and ‘Danger’, I was on the phone with the President of The United States. What fun.

I called Clarissa while I was walking out into the chilly air outside on the street. “Good news.” I said when I heard her pick up, not waiting for a hello. “I am going to be talking at the next presidential speech.” It hadn’t been that hard. I told the president I had something to say, he agreed. I would be on the next flight out to DC tomorrow, hopefully with Clarrisa by my side. This was our chance to escape, together. “If I can get the majority of the population to listen, I can control all of them. The rest who don’t listen will hear my instruction soon once I set up speakers in all of the city’s.” As a general rule, I like to keep my expectations low, so I don’t get disappointed. But now, walking down the sidewalk of a city I will soon control, talking to the girl I’ve had a crush on for forever, my life seemed headed in the right direction.
“Well I gotta admit, I’m impressed. I really didn’t think you could pull this off.” She said dully, not acting impressed at all. I would prove it to her. I would prove it to everyone.
“So does this mean you will go on a date with me now?” I asked hopefully, thinking back to the bet we made when we were both only 14. She caught me using my voice on a teacher after school, she told me she knew I had a power. That was back when I still was confused on my real purpose in life. She showed me what I could do, what we could do together. I’ve had a crush on Clarissa since 5th grade when she punched a boy in the face, then got away with it because she cried sexual harassment. But with her dark eyes and dark hair with red streaks in it, she was never very approachable. Pair that with her constantly sullen attitude and general b****iness, I was never brave enough to ask her out, or even talk to her at all. When she approached me that day after school after she found out about my powers, I knew this was my chance to be with her. She wanted world domination through me, and I wanted a chance with her. So we struck a bet. If I could gain control over the whole world, she would go on a date with me. It seemed a little extreme, but I wasn’t to be deterred. She was my dream girl. My destiny.
“No.” Her rejection brought me back to the present. “The bet was if you achieve world domination I will. Since your doing so good, I’ll settle for control over the US. If you can pull of this I will go on a date with.” She conceded. A smile stretched over my face. Finally.

My plan has gone perfectly. The television manipulation worked, as did the radio transmissions and the speakers in every town. Every human in the United States of America had heard my voice and now follows me. As I stand before a crowd of hundreds who are cheering my name, I finally feel complete. But not because of my power or my followers. It’s because of Clarissa at my side, with her hand intertwined with mine. I’ve finally found my destiny, Clarissa.
 


The author's comments:

This is a story about a young boy with powers and what he chooses to do with them.