The Tragic Awareness of Mortality and it's End | Teen Ink

The Tragic Awareness of Mortality and it's End

By DakotaWunsch BRONZE, Furlong, Pennsylvania
DakotaWunsch BRONZE, Furlong, Pennsylvania

Ethel had always been a quiet woman; a sort of desperateness seemed to lurk behind the concealed frown of her face. She always fascinated me—her mind was so chaotic, yet beautiful—but I couldn’t stop her fate. Everyone has a clock, and that clock was absolute. No matter how much Ethel had hated time, even I couldn’t stop it for her. How can a concept hold so much power over the mind? I always wonder this, and the most fascinating part is that humans who are anxious about running out of time often waste more time worrying than just utilizing it. Ethel did this obviously since her anxious nature did not stray far from this instinct, yet her awareness is what baffled me. I closely watched the chromatic white clock, which existed only in my mind, fall from minutes to seconds as that was all the time she had left to live—but that is also my cue. I already knew what was going to happen; I get a choice in a sense, but not completely. I can choose certain people, people whom the universe agrees have become enlightened enough to experience magnificent release, or people the universe believe deserve a death of despair. Ethel was by far not the wisest or most attractive, but she infatuated watchers to a point where she was noticeably more intriguing than most are. She’s felt as if she’s been dying her whole life—she deserves magnificence. I envision her just as her clock is nearing zero, and I see her highlighted-auburn hair dampen and darken with the water as she submerged below the glacial waters. Blue surrounded her forever—a feeling of blue which followed her from day to day, never allowing her to feel content—yet a different blue now surrounded her as the thick waters folded her with the waves. She had jumped from the colossal, charcoal rock edge of the cliff into the freezing December sea, and a melodic, effortful sigh forced out the last of her oxygen; she was done. She had always known it would be this way, just not when… the only true knowledge she can gain is that she was right; her anxiety and paranoia may have caused her to dwell on her reality, but she always knew the true outcome. I don’t believe it matters as much what you learn now that you are dead, but what you learned during your human experience.

I am a student at Central Bucks East High School and I love creative writing. I usually write dark horror stories or sadder, deeper stories, and I also mainly write poems. This piece shows the death of a girl who knew she would inevitabely commit suicide, and death's perspective of her and her mindset,