Saddest Day of My Life | Teen Ink

Saddest Day of My Life

March 26, 2011
By Jesusisalive BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
Jesusisalive BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 14 comments

It is my wedding day today. It is supposed to be the happiest day of my life. It is not. Why? Because I am being forced into this state of matrimony.

I was orphaned at the age of 10. My uncle became my legal guardian. He didn't want to become my guardian, but he was my only living relative. And so, the task of raising me fell to him. I was always a burden to him. He had to pay for my schooling, wardrobe, and nannies. He was losing so much money on me. As soon as I became the legal marrying age, which is sixteen, he began to look for suitors. I rejected every single one of them. I didn't want to get married. I was to young and still had a life to live. Finally, he became frustrated and chose a man for me.

I did everything I could think of to make this suitor reject me. I acted disinterested in him, had temper tantrums if I didn't get way, and sometimes I simply ignored him and acted like he didn't even exist. For some reason, nothing I did would deter him. Later, I found out my uncle had offered him a large amount of money to marry me. My uncle was desperate to get rid of me.

So, now I stand in a wedding dress in front of an alter. My uncle is grinning like a Cheshire cat. I have no one here for moral support. I am completely alone. This is to be my fate. I will live a life of complete unhappiness and misery from now on. This is the saddest day of my life.

The author's comments:
I would love to have feedback on this piece. Thanks :)