Twinkle,Ttwinkle | Teen Ink

Twinkle,Ttwinkle

March 10, 2012
By IfYoureMad-KillWithKindness GOLD, West Grove, Pennsylvania
IfYoureMad-KillWithKindness GOLD, West Grove, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a roller coaster,when you're at the top you fear of falling, when you're at the bottom you want to get to the top."


                I ran out of the house crying. Daddy had hit me again. Why was he so mean to me and mama? We only ever loved him. It wasn't fair. Plus, on top of that we live where it's always hot and dry. It's so boring. The cacti hurt my hands when I touch them. The hot sand burns my feet and the snakes are obnoxious. I just want to see snow.
          Mama had read me a book about it once. Where we live now used to be a place called Alaska. It used to be filled with snow. A white blanket covering the entire land, all the way to the horizon! 
" you're lying mama!" I had shouted at her in my four year old voice.
" oh, Eira. Would mama lie to you?" she had looked so sweet and young ad kind. I knew mama wasn't lying to me.
         I ran and I ran now, remembering the book about the legend of snow. White fluffy snowflakes that were each different. No two were the same, I had been told. Like a person. Nobody is exactly like the other. 
        I ran until my eyes were dry and until the moon was high up in the sky, shining down on the rapidly cooling desert. I sat down and sifted the sand in my hands. Snow. What a silly thought. Snow hadn't been seen for centuries, according to the book. What right did I have to wish for snow.
        I fell asleep on the ground wishing for snow. I dreamt of snow that night. At least what I imagined it would look like. I imagined it would be like tiny little clouds falling. I imagined they felt cold and cool against skin. A refreshing oasis from the heat. How I wished for snow.
      I awoke to something cold and wet hitting my face. I sat up and opened my eyes. All around me where little white flurries, blowing in the desert wind. I caught one on my hand and it melted instantaneously. I caught them in my hands, in my hair, on my face, and in my mouth. It tasted like water. Cold and refreshing. It was snow. The flurries came down harder and collected in a thin layer over the ground.  They twinkled in the moonlight and I realized I was wrong. Snow looked more like little twinkling stars falling all around me. They reminded me of falling stars, the ones you make a wish on. I didn't need to though. My wish had been granted. I could deal with daddy and I could protect mama. The snow had given me new hope in life, in miracles. My miraculous snow.


The author's comments:
I was originally going to have it be about a little girl who was running out of her house crying and found a little purple flower in a winter wasteland but I flipped it around. Honestly I like this version better