The Lost Love Letters for Him: The Glorious Beginning, Letter 1 | Teen Ink

The Lost Love Letters for Him: The Glorious Beginning, Letter 1

October 21, 2008
By artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
23 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Dear Love,

I’m going to weave a story for you, one you well know of and well appreciate.


It was a warm summer afternoon, roughly mid- June, and while a few clouds covered the sky, there was not one person on that college campus that wasn’t smiling. No, we weren’t college students as you well know, but rising ninth and tenth graders with high ACT and SAT scores, here for a summer camp of college classes and old friends. We did call it nerd camp, am I right?

Three girls assembled on top of a raised brick wall, one with red hair and one with blond. The other on the grass next to them, wearing a blue dress, her auburn hair tied in a ponytail. The red head, named Emily, pulled out a guitar, resting her open case on the ground as a joke of collecting tips. She played with a fever of love of music, strumming away and singing a song a great passion. The blond next to her, a bright girl named Melissa, hummed in unison and tried to commit the words to memory. The one on the ground, Hailey, only nodded to the beat, watching Emily with total concentration.

While this was happening, and kickball game was starting, a collection of the toughest guys and bravest girls playing barefoot in the grass, using jackets and what not as bases. Melissa soon let her concentration linger to those playing and never becoming engrossed in the game, watched subbmissibly. She lingered in and out of deep thought, wandering of her boyfriend back home, hoping he didn’t miss her too much.

A boy sat next to the trio on the wall, clad in his camp t- shirt. His hair was blond and flipped to the side, his lips curved in a smile like no other. Melissa smiled back.

“Have you ever been to camp before?” The boy asked, watching the kickball game just like Melissa, not totally focusing.

Melissa looked at him, and couldn’t help but smile again. “Yeah, I love this place! It’s great!”

The boy smiled. “I love it too. It’s better than any other camp! Which session did you go to last year?”

“One. You?”

“This one. Session two.”

Not wanting the conversation to die, Melissa outstretched her hands to the surrounding campus and said “This place… it’s wonderful. Doing this, it’s wonderful.”

The boy gave her an inquisitive look. “Watching kickball?”

Melissa laughed and shook away. “No, camp in general.”

The boy laughed himself and nodded. “Yeah, this is the best.”
Melissa looked at his name tag, and saw the boy with blond hair and a smiling mouth was named Jack.


Love, I’m sure you remember this story loud and clear. Like it happened yesterday. I know we all do, for this was our first day of camp. I miss you extremely and wish I could be with you again, but for now, we are separated. The sun is starting to set here, while where you are I’m sure it’s already completely dark, and you’re probably asleep. I wish you sweet dreams now and that you remain okay and no one kills you till you wake. Well, I hope that no one ever kills you. Love, sometimes it’s hard to be without you, and sometimes I cry without meaning too! However, I cherish talking to you, and I will always be there for you.

Love, you don’t know that I love you, but all the same… no that I will be there for you; that I do love you. Even though you will never read this, which does bring tears to my eyes.

Love, I am sorry, but I must leave. I will write again as soon as I can!









With all love in the world,










Emrela Meyer


The author's comments:
This is a series of letters I will be writing perhaps weekly. Maybe more often, maybe less. Some of this is exact, true stuff that happened to me. Some I wrote it to fill in the blank spots. Know though that a good bit is true, and this is my story. If you have any questions about the camp or any other details, please leave a comment and I might answer you're question by the next story in this section. Thank you so much for reading...