First World Problems | Teen Ink

First World Problems

By Rayraph14 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California
Rayraph14 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California

Friends are like wedgies. They know your inner self, they’re intimately close and it feels good to pick out a good one!

Dear Diary,
Today was the worst day of my life! It was the most horrific day ever. I can’t even. It was just… a disaster.
It all started this morning when my butler woke me up half an hour early because apparently, I take too long in the mornings getting ready for school. Well FYI, Winston, it’s not that easy to look this good every single day before 8:30. Anyway, when I went to take my shower my special shampoo from my personal hairdresser was finished, so I had to use the stupid TreSemme shampoo from the grocery store. My hair was silky and smooth, but I still don’t like using common hair products. It’s gross! It’s like using a public bathroom with only one toilet! No thanks!
When I was getting dressed, I wanted to wear my favorite Ralph Lauren sweater, but it was in the laundry room waiting to get washed, so I had to wear my Michael Kors shirt. It’s so unfair! My brother Landon always gets his clothes washed first and I never get to wear what I want! I never get anything I want! Why does the universe hate me?
Since Winston had to wake me up early, I got to school 10 minutes before the bell and I had to stand around and talk with my friends. Then, I learnt that I had completely done my science homework wrong, so I had to change it. It took forever! It was such a burden.
For lunch, the cafeteria people were serving 7 cheese lasagna. Um, hello! I’m on a strict no carb, no fat diet. I had no intention to eat that… but it was the only thing they had. So, I was forced to eat that cheesy, gooey, greasy blob of carbs and fat. I think I almost died and that’s not even the worst part. For dessert, we had pudding. Chocolate pudding. I really thought I was going to die right there. Death by chocolate. I could see the newspaper headlines right there. Teenage girl murdered by chocolate. It was so traumatizing.
At the end of the school day, I got no homework except for my stupid English class where we got a new assignment! I really can’t have one day with no homework, can I? I hate school. After one long, exhausting day of school, all I wanted to do was hang out with my BFF Alaska, but I couldn’t because she had some stupid soccer game. Then she had the nerve to invite me to come watch. I’m sorry; I’m not wasting my time watching some stupid sport that I don’t like. So instead, I watched a full session of Gossip Girl on Netflix. It wasn’t even fun. If I’m going to binge watch Gossip Girl, then I’d like to it with a friend, but I don’t have any good friends anymore because they’re all “busy” doing “homework” or “babysitting” or “going to practice”. Whatever.
Finally, to end my horrible day, I dropped my phone on the way to my room and the screen got cracked. Now I won’t be able to watch my YouTube videos properly because that stupid crack is going to annoy me.
Why does my life suck? I seriously doubt that anyone had a worst day than me and if there is, than they must live on another planet.
Sincerely, America.

This is an example of how the majority of North America thinks. We make a big deal of stupid things or things that aren't even that bad. We make mountains out of mole hills with our first world problems.