goose hunting | Teen Ink

goose hunting

Evan was out goose hunting when something tragic happened, he forgot how to goose hunt, so he decided to call up his buddy Brett “ Hey Brett I forgot how to goose hunt wanna give me some pointers?” Brett replied, “No Evan you never invite me goose hunting so why would I give you any tips.” Evan frowned and ended the call knowing he wouldn’t kill a goose that day without Brett's help. As Evan sits and thinks about what he will do, Reed Church shows up to the field Evan is trying to hunt and helps Evan a little bit. Evan stares into Reed's eyes “Thank you so much Reed you’re the best person in the whole world”

As they begin setting up after Evan's terrible breakdown  5 minutes earlier with Brett, they start to have geese start flying into their decoys, Evan pulls out his gun and right when he's about to pull the trigger, Reed jumps out of the blind and starts screaming “Omg Evan geese are flying in!!” geese start taking off they still try to 3 bnnnnnnnnget shots off but they all miss. At this point, Evan is distraught with Reed, cause he was the main reason they couldn’t shoot any of the geese flying in. While that was happening there was another flock coming in, while Evan and Reed sat and argued a flock of 40+ geese just landed in their spread of decoys, Evan and Reed both froze and sat there in silence for a couple of seconds before Evan comprehended what's going on. Evan lifts his gun to shoot but before he can shoot, Reed is already blasting away, Reed takes out three birds and Evan can only get one. 

Reed stands up and yells “ Heck yeah! We just blasted them big tweetie birds” Reed sits there jumping around as Evan sits there with his head down regretting everything he has done in those last few hours. Evan turns and looks at Reed and says “You have to be by far the dumbest human on the planet” Reed looks over at Evan with a remark for himself “ You have to be the worst goose hunter on this planet” He continues to laugh after he said that to Evan. Evan gets up and leaves everything there including  Reed, at this point Evan is just upset, having to deal with Reed and not shooting a single goose all day has to be one of the toughest things Evan has put up with in a long time. Evan gets to his truck and sets his head on his steering wheel. Evan realizes his phone is buzzin, he looks over its his mom calling he just sits and stares and is contemplating on answering, no clue if his mom is gonna be upset or has some stupid story about how she went for a walk with the dogs and fought a stop sign, but he picks up the phone and his eyes open up and guess what happens next………….