Twilight Child; Chapter Six- Adrenaline Rush | Teen Ink

Twilight Child; Chapter Six- Adrenaline Rush

By WinterMoon GOLD, Waynesburg, Kentucky
WinterMoon GOLD, Waynesburg, Kentucky

life is hard, but it could be harder
Suicide is for people who are too weak for the real world.
Those who dance are thought to be crazy by those who don’t hear the music.
People change, things go wrong. Just remember, life goes on.
What you feed your mind is what it gives back to you!
Be conscious of your subconscious mind. It’s the storage area for all the things you don’t pay attention to. It will eventually yield and even take over your conscious mind.
Life is all about challenges. To become an over comer, you don’t have to allow obstacles to become an impediment, but rather a stepping stone to your goals.
I have failed over and over in my life and that is why I succeed.
Imitation is Limitation.
Life is like a novel with the end ripped out.
Life is like a game of baseball
You’ll never know if you make the home run
UNLESS YOU SWING
Life is about creating yourself, not finding yourself!
There could be many options in your life, but before this life you had no option. So live with it
Life is like a dream. There’s good times and there’s nightmares. Life will only last so long, but your dreams will go on forever.
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about dancing in the rain..!”
“Enjoy what you can, endure what you must”
Love never ends, but life does.
Things turn out best for people who make the best out of the way things turn out
Love is like a rainbow: the more you see it, the more you realize what a miracle it really is.
Life is about falling – Living is about getting backup.
never have regrets, because at one point everything you did in life was exactly what you wanted
“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”
Dreams are like stars…one blows up and another one gets brighter
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.
God, if I can’t have what I want, let me want what I have.
Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.

The alarm clock was in a thousand pieces is point 4 seconds. Without realizing it, I had picked the alarm chock and hurled it into the white closet door on the opposite side of the room. Waking up was the last thing I wanted to do at this moment, and apparently the most dangerous. I knew today was going to be bad, but now it was going to be downright miserable in every sense of the word. I glared at the ceiling as if I was daring it to try to irritate me further. I sighed deeply, and reluctantly got to my feet, ready to face whatever the day had in store for me.
I darted around my room tearing up everything looking for my bag of bathroom items, including my shampoo, soap, lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, and mouse. It took me over 5 minutes to find the little bag, leaving a path of destruction in my way. I came to the decision that I would clean up later, then I burst out the door towards the bathroom down the hall, running so fat that my feet didn’t even touch the hardwood floor beneath my feet. I was about to grab the bathroom door handle when I heard Renée’s thoughts from downstairs. Christ, what’s the matter with that girl? If someone were sleeping, she would have woken him or her up! Charlie will be home in about 5 minutes… her mind wandered off to other matters about Charlie, and I climbed in the shower I had running at this point, after throwing my things on the large granite countertop.
The strawberry scent of the shampoo filled my nose, and calmed me almost at once. I lathered it through my long mahogany hair twice, before washing my body slowly. I quickly but thoroughly brushed my teeth in the shower, trying to save time. I was wrapping myself in my robe when I could hear Charlie open the front door in a rush; I heard his mental voice before his vocal one. Renée isn’t going to like this. Nevertheless, she has no reason not to. He was very nice, and didn’t seem to be a threat at all. In Charlie’s mind, he was remembering a pale man with fair hair in a white coat, another vampire, no doubt about it.
I had opened the door, and was standing silently on the doorframe waiting for what was to come. “Renée, are you in the house?” he was upset that he couldn’t even hear Renée arranging the noisy cooking utensils around in the drawer. Where is she? I don’t want to have to track her down. Thankfully, Renée glided threw the kitchen doors quickly; Charlie’s troubles were eased, but not completely. I better calm down, I don’t want to frighten her. “Renée, it appears that we are not the only vampires in Forks. There is a coven of seven others located about five miles east of here that I was unaware of. The leader of the coven is also a doctor at the hospital, like me, he has exceptional control. Please, don’t be disturbed, they are safe. The one I met, Dr. Carlisle Cullen, is a very nice man. They all share the same diet as us, animal blood, nothing to fear.”
Despite Charlie’s warning, Renée was frozen with fear. I couldn’t get much out of her thoughts, they were incoherent with anger. I grabbed the door frame, bracing myself for the worst.” What? Nothing to fear?! What in god’s name makes you think I won’t react badly to this news?! There are seven other vampires near us! Have you completely forgotten the fact we are here? Has it somehow slipped your mind that he probably could smell Bella’s scent on you?! Have you lost your mind?! We have to leave…immediately. Before this can get dangerous.” What is he thinking? Where will we go…Oregon, Montana, Utah…No.
Charlie was beating himself up for not acting calmer, but he was calm, Renée just overreacts. Oh my…Here we go, again. Why can’t she just trust me? Must we always go through this? I didn’t realize was inside my bedroom until I was face to face with the wall, but I continued to listen to the conversation downstairs. “Renée, please, let me explain. We are in no danger. I am aware that they outnumber us, but they’re not looking for a fight. I was about to tell you that Carlisle invited us all over to his home this afternoon to talk. It’s important that we coordinate our hunting schedule.” I hope she goes for this; I really would like to meet them all.
Renée looked like she couldn’t believe what he was saying, but she choked out a response anyway. “Well, that seems very…kind of them. To there house? Where they will all be there? Are you sure, Charlie?” I hope this isn’t a trick, but if Charlie says it’s fine then I’m sure it is safe. He wouldn’t want to put Bella in any danger.
Yes, yes, and yes. I’m sure that it’s safe, positive. It will be nice to have some friends that live so close. Wow, she actually listened. Can’t believe it…
Renée wasn’t as sold as Charlie thought she was. Well, I suppose it won’t hurt, unless it’s all a setup; but that would be on Charlie’s shoulders, not mine. “We should go tomorrow while Bella is at school, just to be safe. If we find that it’s okay, we can introduce her at a later time.”
Introduce her later? That’s the whole point of going, to introduce her with us, as a family. Oh…I must have not included that five out of the seven go to school also. That means Bella will be in the same building as they are in less than thirty minutes. Charlie thought. Thirty minutes? It would take me ten just to get there! I started running around my room trying to grab a pair of clothes that match. I ran the blow dryer through my hair for longer that I had time to, and then threw on a white tank top on, to match the translucent white blouse I had bought on the way here. I settled on wearing a pair of dark blue jeans that were the most time consuming to put on. I hoped around my room while trying to put on a pair of socks that didn’t even match, because I didn’t have time to find a match in my sock drawer, no one will be looking at my feet today anyway. It took me several more seconds to lace up my sky blue converse, and tie them.
I grabbed my out of the closet and started running around shoving in notebooks, binders, and pencils. I did this while listening to Charlie and Renée’s conversation downstairs. It was Charlie’s turn to speak. “Well, that’s why Carlisle suggested we go in the later hours of the afternoon. Five of them were between the age of 16 and 22 when they were changed, so they attend public school. We won’t get to meet all of them. Who knows, maybe Bella will meet them before us.” Charlie mused. I would love to see Bella make some friends that are on the same wavelength as her. She is so smart, wise beyond her years; well she is wise for the age she looks. Charlie was being sarcastic, while my heart was pounding out of my chest.
Renée was speechless, but her thoughts were irate. What? Bella can’t be around them unprotected! Is he mad! They will kill her! No! No! No! I will not allow it. Renée suddenly flew up to Charlie and put the hands on this chest, worry and panic creasing her too young face. “Charlie, Bella can’t be around them! Not until we know it’s safe. You love Bella, I know you do, do you want her to die? To die a cruel death? She’s our daughter, Charlie! You can’t just throw her to the lions and expect her to come out alive! She’s still so young! Charlie!”
I had just finished shoving thirty dollars in my front packet, when I froze with shock. I had never heard Renée say nor think such motherly thoughts towards me before, ever, in over three centuries. I had never truly been in any danger before though, not that I can’t protect myself. Charlie didn’t seem surprised. See! I knew she cared about my little Bells. I told myself that night we took her in that Renée would love Bella, she always has, I suppose. However, she’s being a bit extreme. “Renée, Bella is in no harm. These are all very civilized vampires; they’re not looking for a fight. Moreover, if they are, Bells can handle herself. She has strength and speed that they don’t. She could kill them all with her hands tied behind her back. Trust me, she’ll be fine.”
I threw my worn backpack over my shoulder and darted out of my room after running the hairbrush threw my long slightly wavy hair again. I was at the bottom of the steps in less than a second, but slowed before I got to the foot of the staircase, not wanting to scare Charlie and Renée. I started slowly toward Charlie and Renée, with a fake confused expression fixed on my face. What’s the matter?” They both jumped at the sound of my hushed voice, I had forgotten to make some noise, they hadn’t heard me at all.
Charlie spoke first, because he recovered from the shock before Renée. “Oh Bella, I wasn’t aware you were still home. Shouldn’t you have left for school by now? You’re going to be late. I’ll drive you to school, we need to talk anywa-” that is when Renée ran up to me, putting her hands on my shoulders, and shook my violently hard. It would have knocked a human out, but I didn’t even feel it. I fought back the urge to burst out in a fit of laughter, focusing on keeping my face confused, adding in a hint of fear. I cannot let this happen, no.
“Bella, oh, Bella. No! You can’t go, you just can’t! You’ll be killed! Bella, you’re young, too young to die! You can’t die, I don’t want you too. I know I may not be the best mom, but I do care about you Bella. Don’t you believe me?” I stared at her with only shock now. She was begging me not to go. I was going to school; I had to see these vampires. I didn’t care if they did try to kill me. She can’t! Please let her say that she believes me. I’ve been so harsh on her, so mean. It’s a shame!
I found my voice so quick; Renée didn’t even sense my hesitation. “Of course I believe you Renée. Why wouldn’t I?” It’s not as if you make my life miserable every chance you can, no not you. Why would she believe me? I have been horrible to her! I really am a monster!
“I don’t know. Just tell me you’ll stay home today, please.” Just let her not be stubborn just this once!
I wasn’t going to miss what was at school for the world. Even if they aren’t willing to talk to me, I could still hear there minds. I was immensely thankful for my gift at that moment, reminding myself how it often came in handy. I could read there minds to flesh out there secrets, to learn more about each one of them. I didn’t know exactly how to tell Renée that I had to go to school, so I would just have to be persuasive. Being persuasive-and persistent- always pays off for me in the end.
“Listen, Renée. You know I don’t want you to worry about me. And thankfully, you don’t have to. I’m with Charlie on this one. I can defend myself if necessary, you know I can. And, who says these others aren’t civilized? They do go to a public school, if they acted out a lot, surly they wouldn’t still be here. I know a coven of their size has to be on the top of the Volturi’s hit list, they have to know the Volturi would kill them if they did the slightest thing wrong. So… I should be safe. And if something happens, anything at all, I’ll call you immediately. So, please let me go to school today, I just want to get the first day over with. Please?” I let desperation color my voice towards the end, which seemed to be working on Renée. She seems so sure. She also has some good points. Why didn’t I think of that? Fine! If she is willing to die, then so be it. I’ll let her go. And with that, Renée sighed heavily and huffed out “As you wish”, then turned and stocked out of the room.
Charlie and I just stood there. Looking at each other. I made my expression match his, struck with disbelief. What just happened? Did Bella have this planned out? She can be quiet hard to resist when she is sure of the path she wants. Renée was clearly no match for my Bells. Ha! Charlie finally composed himself enough to nod his head toward the door, telling me to head out. I sped over to the door, which Charlie was holding for me. He was feeling very impressed with me, very proud. However, I was nothing to be proud of. If he only knew how much time, I spend daily plotting the deception that will someday come out. But, Charlie and Renée couldn’t know about my so-called “gifts”. Then I remembered how glad I was to have my gifts at that time, and stopped loathing myself for the moment, I would have plenty of time for that later.
Charlie and I made our way around the side of the house to the garage. Inside the garage all eighteen cars were inside, most covered with a tarp, except for Renée’s Jaguar, Charlie’s Eclipse, and my rusty red truck. The rusty red truck I was, for once, happy not to be in. I knew Charlie would want to talk about this, but I knew he would rather discuss this with me than Renée. I was never afraid of danger the way Renée was. I was aware of the fact that danger lurked around every corner, but for some reason it only made me on edge, anxious, but not afraid. Charlie got in his side of the car, behind the wheel, and I got in the passenger seat. Well, at least I got her out of the house. I know this is all right. She can protect herself. Am I going to regret this later? No, I’m not. I wanted to say No, you’re not going to regret this! However, then he would know that I could read his mind.
Charlie stated the car; it made a soft purring sound that a human would not easily hear. We made our way down the long driveway, about five miles. I tried to distract myself by thinking of what I would say to the class if a teacher asked me to introduce myself. Hello. My name is Bella Swan, and I moved here from Oregon. I shouldn’t have to elaborate, but if I did have to, then I would ramble on about how boring my life in Forks is.
What to say? What to say? Charlie was racking his brain for a way to start the conversation. I decided to make it easier on him and go first.
“Um…Thanks. You know, for backing me up.” I said it in barely over a whisper, not able to really find my voice. Charlie was surprised I spoke. What? Thanks for…oh. She should have known I would help her out.
“Think nothing of it. I know you are smart enough to keep yourself out of trouble. Besides, these vampires seem to be civilized. I don’t think they would make a skeptical of themselves, they’re not reckless. The father of the family, Carlisle, told me he spent sometime with the Volturi, but that he was no longer with them. I did tell them that I had a daughter, but I didn’t tell him what you were. It will be your choice to tell them, if you want to.” Charlie sounded so caring and concerned that it made me blush a little bit.
“Well, thanks anyway. I owe you. I actually want to see them, the other vampires. It will give me something new to rea- I was about to say read, but stopped myself just in time- I mean to look at. I guess the first day is getting to me.” I decided it was time to close my big mouth, before it got me caught. Well, she’ll certainly have many new things to look at.
I could see the school; Charlie looked over and saw the look on my face, and decided not to respond to what I said. I sat back in my seat as we descended into the school parking lot, trying to look human. I should work on that. The first person who saw me was a blond haired boy, we were driving past him, but he saw me clearly. His thoughts were what I expected. Who the hell is that? I hope she’s in all of my classes. I’ll talk to her the first chance I get, before Eric and Tyler get the chance. Wow, she was looking at me…
The rest of his thoughts were a mixed up mess, so I allowed my eyes to close. A human would be tired, having to get up so early, so that should be normal.
I was in the middle of the parking lot now, and I didn’t need Charlie to walk me in. “Could you drop me off here? I can walk the rest of the way.” Charlie clearly didn’t want to do this, but he stopped the car anyway.
“Have a nice day Bells.” A safe day. He didn’t need to be worried, I did. However, I put on my sweetest smile anyway.
“I’ll try. And I’ll try to stay out of trouble.” I put my hand on his shoulder, trying to be affectionate, but it didn’t seem that way to me. It seemed odd, to touch another in a way that was not meant to harm them, and so I slid my hand off after a second. I hoped out of the car quickly, and about half of the students had arrived, but had not gone in yet. The car turned heads, but not as much as me. Every eye was on me, and every thought was about me. Charlie quickly drove away before any of the students could notice him. I was completely alone, which was not what I wanted now.

Chapter Six!