The Saga of Steve Leopard(part 1) | Teen Ink

The Saga of Steve Leopard(part 1)

By brainiac SILVER, Grove City, Ohio
brainiac SILVER, Grove City, Ohio

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future.

Darren's death had me torn up.
I had lost my best friend. Sure,I had Tommy and Alan,but it just wasn't the same. The worst part was the hate and suspicion I had felt before he died. He just couldn't be dead,I thought as I wept.
But then it hit me. Maybe he wasn't. Maybe my suspicion wasn't in vain. Maybe he was one of the bloodsuckers I swore to kill! There was only one way to know for sure.
I snuck out the night before the funeral. She(by which I mean my mother)was dead asleep. She had no clue I had done this so many times before.
I scanned the morgue until I found my late "friend's" body. I opened his mouth and put the litmus paper on his tongue. So he was alive after all! One final test. Judging from what I had heard, no human could have survived what happened to him. I lifted his fingers. Each one had a scar on the tip. I was right all along!
I knew what I must do. But I wasn't prepared for it then. I would kill him after the "funeral." Before I left, took pictures for evidence.
The next day I witnessed that sham of funeral. Everyone mourning a boy who wasn't dead. He might as well be, though. That night, my quest began.
I walked through the graveyard. I saw Darren standing alone. I hoped Vur Horston wasn't with him. He probably was. I knew the two bloodsuckers had conspired to have the spider bite me in exchange for giving Darren the life I deserved.
I grabbed him and threatened to stake him. I knew Vur Horston was nearby. Darren tried to tell me lies and sob stories, denying that he betrayed me. I'd enoy staking him.
But I couldn't kill Darren then. I was too young and weak. But one day I would come for him and get my revenge. To remind myself, I hacked a cross into my hand.
That night, I accepted my destiny.

I love the Cirque Du Freak series. I bet a lot of people, like me, were curious about what happened to Steve between books 2-8. This story takes place at the end of book 1.