My Chance | Teen Ink

My Chance

June 1, 2011
By Bookworm2144 BRONZE, Elmont, New York
Bookworm2144 BRONZE, Elmont, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
You can never get everything that you want in life.


Prologue

1799

"ONE. . . TWO. . . THREE. . . CHARGE!" The captain shouted to his army of men. Everyone ran towards the opposite team with a variety of weapons. Swords (the most used), spears, shields, and clubs. The other side had weaker weapons like branches cut down from trees and small knives. We all knew we were going to win this battle. But of course this was not the end of the war. We never stop fighting. EVER.



Chapter 1


Liz
My family has been fighting in this war for years. It was constant and non-stop. It started way before I was even born. My name is Elizabeth Eva Bentley, Liz for short. My mother’s name is Bethany and my father’s name was George. Key word: was. He died in the war when I was only 5. I’m 15 now with so dark brown eyes; it would take you a while to find the pupil. I have black hair that’s usually twisted into a messy bun to keep it out of my eyes. I have tanned skin but it’s not too dark.
Other than my mother I have my two brothers Phil & William. Phil is 17 and William is my twin. They both fight in the war while I stay home with mother to do housework. The truth is I wish I wasn't a girl. Being a girl means that you can’t do anything the boys get to do. Like fight in the war. That's my one wish. Ok whoever is reading this. I have a secret to tell you. When I'm home alone, I sneak into Williams’s room and snake a weapon. I would then go out into the forest behind my house and well you know... practice. That was a big secret right? Well you probably don’t think so because now in your time period, girls can fight in the war.
If I can say so myself, I think I'm pretty good. Considering I am the only female born into my family. The only women are married into the family. I’m the first born girl. Most people would be proud to say it but not me. As I had said before, I wish I was a guy. But then of course you never get everything that you wish for in life. Things like this suck huh? The bestest friend of all best friends on God’s green Earth is Ryan Martin Phillips. Ryan is also a secret from my family. He knows about everything that I do. All of my secrets and I know all of his. We never keep anything from each other. I f we did, it would make us feel guilty