Pearl Harbor Attack | Teen Ink

Pearl Harbor Attack

January 8, 2016
By Poomonkey BRONZE, Cedar Hills, Utah
Poomonkey BRONZE, Cedar Hills, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Riiiiinnnng! My alarm clock went off at 7:00. I had to get up for a job that my dad offered me, because one of the cooks at his cafe was in a car accident, and was in the hospital. So I had to fill in for however long it took for him to recover, or for my dad to find somebody else. Even though I’m only 14, I am a pretty good cook. After I ate and got ready, I got money from my mom so I could take the train to the cafe. I walked all the way to the train station. It was 7:30 by the time I got there. It usually takes about 10 minutes to get to the cafe.

I got off the train at 7:40. As I was about to walk into the cafe, a group of planes flew over my head. It was 7:48. They were close to all the buildings. I finally got my eyes to focus on one of them, and it had a japanese sign on it. I was confused as 10 more flew over my head. All of the sudden, BOOM! Behind me there was a big explosion of fire and smoke, and parts of buildings and debris flew everywhere. One of the planes had dropped a bomb. A few seconds after that 3 planes dropped one of their bombs! Everybody started screaming and running. I was getting run over by everybody. I was still confused about what was happening. People were running out of the cafe screaming. I was too scared and dumbfounded to move. I sat there not being able to breath. My mouth was open as I was starting to smell smoke. I heard above me 30 planes come, then about 50. Pretty soon there were so many planes to count, there had to be over 300. Every plane was bombing everywhere! There were two right in a row that came and dropped a bomb on the building next to the cafe. I flew across the sidewalk, and landed really hard on my back. My leg was set on fire, so I rolled around until it was gone.

My dad came running out of the cafe and yelled my name, then came and picked me up, and we got in his car. I knew I had broken some ribs and arm, and my leg was burned really bad. We could barely drive fast at all, because of all the people running around in the streets. I couldn’t focus that well on anything. A bomb went in the water, which made the water explode. It hit our car which made us flip twice in the car. Thankfully I was alive, but didn’t know how. My lungs were filling with smoke, so I couldn’t breathe that well. Everything was going through my mind thinking if my mom was ok or if she was dead. If she had been bombed. Wondering if my little brother, Tommy was ok, who is only 5. My dad wasn’t waking up, or moving, let alone talking. Blood was coming out of his mouth, nose, ears, everywhere you could think of. With the last bit of strength I had I nudged my dad. He wouldn’t respond. I waited there for 30 seconds trying everything I could, but had to face the truth that my dad was dead. I had lifted myself out of the bent in door. And crawled about 10 feet, until I couldn’t anymore. Then I saw a plane come over and drop a bomb, at that instant I realized I was going to die. Until I felt two arms pick me up and carry me like a baby. It was john, My dad’s really good friend who was in the army. He ran as fast as he could with me. Thankfully we survived the bomb, but still got tossed up into the air, and landed painfully onto the cement. John came and picked me up again, and ran me to the hospital. I knew I was losing a lot of blood, and could feel my body beginning to shut down. I closed my eyes slowly, and didn’t wake up.

After what seemed like a lifetime, I finally woke up. I was in the hospital with my mom, Tommy, and John. Tommy was apparently in the hospital too, but only had a broken arm. He flew in the air too when a bomb hit next to him. My mom and John were all scraped up, but nothing serious. I had 4 broken ribs, a broken arm, and an amputated leg because of the burn. All of them had bags under their eyes, and had looked like they had been crying for years in a row. Their faces lit up at the sight of me being awake. And I sure was happy to be alive too. I had asked my mom if dad was ok. She just broke down crying, saying that no one had found him yet, but was pretty sure he was dead. I started crying too. She said there were so many people screaming for their loved ones, and that it just broke her heart. She hasn’t let Tommy open his eyes when they walk around the hospital, because it’s too depressing and horrifying. People in the waiting room looking like dead people, and worrying if their loved ones were going to wake up. If you walked outside, people would be roaming the streets yelling for their family members, or coming up to ask you if you had seen them. Then they give a vivid description of who is missing, and expect you to help look for them. Once my mom was done hugging me and kissing me, she went to go get a doctor to tell them that I was awake.

Later that day as I was going home, John came over and told me he had to go away for a while. He had to go to war. He said the attack had led The United States into World War II. I had asked him how many planes had attacked us. He had said that there were 353 planes. I asked how much army stuff was destroyed. He said all 8 U.S. Navy battleships were damaged with 4 sunk. They also damaged or sank 3 cruisers, 3 destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship, and one minelayer. 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed. I sat there with my mouth open, shocked at how terrible and horrifying this all was. He said I was very lucky to have lived, with this tragic incident. He told me he was sorry, but he had to go fight in World War II now. I thanked him for everything he did. John kissed my forehead, said you’re welcome, then took off.

When I got home, we turned on the radio, and went to the news channel. All the news channels were talking about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The newspaper showed pictures of the attack. One picture was on the newspaper of a Japanese guy, with the name of Kazuo Sakamaki. They were saying he was flying one of the planes that bombed us. Thankfully he was captured. Then it showed pictures of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, talking about the attack. The lack of any formal warning, led him to proclaim that December 7, 1941 was, “A date which will live in infamy.” Also, because the declaration of war and without explicit warning, the attack was judged by the Tokyo trials to be a war crime. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, on December 8, 1941, The United States declared war on Japan. Subsequent operations by the U.S. prompted Germany and Italy to declare war on the U.S. on December 11, 1941, which was reciprocated by the U.S. the same day. Japan lost 29 aircraft, five midget submarines, and 64 servicemen killed.

2,403 Americans were killed that day, leaving 1,178 Americans wounded. Although my dad’s body was never found and the attack led my family’s closest friend to go fight in the war, the world needs peace. So I am willing to forgive Japan and any who attack us. December 7, 1941 will always be, “A date which will live in infamy.”


The author's comments:

I like reading historical fictions