I Am | Teen Ink

I Am

March 12, 2019
By Sophia_LaPalme DIAMOND, Loxley, Alabama
Sophia_LaPalme DIAMOND, Loxley, Alabama
57 articles 22 photos 87 comments

Favorite Quote:
“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
― Robert Frost


       I am the young girl dreaming about being a superhero. I plan on saving my mom from my dad when he hits her. I can do anything. I wonder if I can fly?


    I am the homeless veteran. I fought for my country. I lost my leg, my fiancé, and my innocence. I left my hope over there. Now I lay among overflowing trash cans and sleep under a canopy of streetlights. My lullaby is squealing tires and loud car horns.


    I am the dancer, turning, twirling, and leaping. I must stay thin. I must stay thin. I must stay thin. Someday, I plan to fly away.


    I am the drug addict. I fill my veins to empty my head. I want to forget my past, the injury that ended my football career, losing my girlfriend to a gun, and the little girl I had to give up for adoption. I wonder where she is?


    I am bullied. The taunts and shouts ring in my ears, and school seems like a dungeon or a torture chamber. I’m a target, I have a bullseye between my shoulders. Will they miss me if I leave?

 

   I am the bully. My father left and my mother tried to replace him with boyfriend after boyfriend, and she’ll never accept what they’ve done to me. I hate myself.


    I am the forgotten. My grave lays unmarked, no one will ever know my name or where I’m from. Cold stone is the only reminder of my life, other than a few fading memories in the back of someone’s mind.

 

    I am going to go far. I won’t let my mother’s sacrifices go to waste. I will walk across that stage. I will make my own future. I won’t let anyone define me. I am me.

 

   I am the writer. Notebooks filled with purple cursive, filled with lists of ideas, words, and names. I can make myself into so many things. I will tell the stories of others while I write my own. I piece together my thoughts to craft something that tells a story.


    I am human. We all are.


The author's comments:

I feel like, at the end of the day, we are all connected through life’s struggles and we should all work towards making the world better.

 

Also, you might notice that some of these people are connected to one another...