Lucid Dreaming | Teen Ink

Lucid Dreaming

By ilanagoldman BRONZE, Lansdowne, Virginia
ilanagoldman BRONZE, Lansdowne, Virginia

It’s a common misconception that young children despise going to sleep at normal hours for reasons of rebellion or sugar rush, when their true wish is to continue the fun that ceases to be when their eyes close. Those with the ability to harness their dreams, however, get to make all the rules themselves.

Timothy, for example, knew that beds were portals to alternate dimensions. Well… maybe not entirely new planes of existence, but new locations, at the very least. The little ten year-old was… just that: little. But his mind was a true force to be reckoned with.

He’d talk of his adventures in such vivid detail, descriptive enough that you could make out the scene for yourself. One of his favorites began with him waking up between the velvety sheets of an IKEA bed, the type that was meant to be seen but not slept on (which made very little sense, he’d argue, as they always looked so comfy). Although, this particular IKEA was devoid of prying employees and scolding mothers, instead filled with other bedfulls of his best friends, to whom he claimed he’d taught his “patented dream technique”, as well. Sure enough, there they’d be beside him, packed to the limit beneath plush covers like little human sardines.

Despite the fact that there were never any adults in sight, cards and snacks and other fun things had to be snuck-in between those covers, almost as though the pure idea of mischief made all nightly activities more enjoyable. It was also, perhaps, to sneak these pastimes beyond the strains of reality, to further shove it in the faces of the almighty that this realm was theirs, and could not be taken away.

Not permanently, at least, for every new morning brought the sunrise that would rip him from his dreamworld, his sanctuary. Days were long and unrelenting, and each one left Timothy more eager to escape than before. Understandably, of course; in what possible scenario would real life outrank dream-Doritos and pillow fights?

Over time, Timothy—ever the preteen go-getter—became dissatisfied with the repetition of the IKEA, insisting to his friends that they journey to new domains outside that of the jumbo warehouse’s boundaries. This realization, he claimed, did in fact bring the lot of them to a fresh sort of bedding location; a flowerbed to be exact.

Again—in precise detail—he talked of this blooming dreamscape, the canopy of surrounding trees, the overflow of blossoms in each color of the rainbow. Endless activity eliminated the need for otherworldly games and food; juvenile entertainment (said the ten year-old). As the dreamworld knew no bounds, this freedom allowed them plenty of time to play and laugh and be kids, luxuries not provided within the confines of reality. There were some, though, who wandered past the bed of flowers and into the forestry woods beyond; such friends did not return to his dreams.

Did not return to his own reality, either. Yes; he began to see less and less of the “old gang” (as he called them), preoccupied with smells that were not fresh flowers, sounds that were not buzzing pollinators, sights that were not sun-bathed fields. These worldly imperfections became clearer and clearer as the days dragged on, error after error gnawing at his attachment to reality, his desire to remain as such.

It was not long after that the setting changed once more, this time a shallow body of water littered with fallen leaves and golden trout. A riverbed, Timothy recalled, thrilled with this new element they’d stumbled across. Every night he would return to the dream, joyously diving and floating and splashing around with his crew, however dwindling their numbers had become.

It had been Timothy who suggested they swim upstream, to follow the fish on their journey, but again—from a handful of his buddies—that resistance, or lack thereof. They were simply tired, allowing the current to carry them downstream, for why would one go against the natural laws of nature? Tired within a dream, Timothy would grouch, though he knew the bitterness was misplaced. But their time together was so limited; why would they waste it by discontinuing the fight?

The ever-growing change had him yearning for the past, their days of IKEA beds and Cheeto Puffs, flower petals and grass stains. Most importantly, the people—his friends—once all content together in blissful existence, unaffected by their harsh realities.

Unfortunately, all dreams must come to an end, and Timothy had been fighting his own battle for so long. He, too, was tired.

And so, last week, three nights before his eleventh birthday, Timothy laid upon his final bed. Even after his hair had fallen, even after the third stage of chemotherapy did him no favors, my son smiled through the duration of his deathbed, smiled alongside his remaining friends at Clearwater Children’s Medical Center. For the hours before, he spoke of these adventures, of his plan to then follow those lost pals into the forest and downstream, to a place where they’d all rest together beyond the clouds, beyond the stars. It is in this place that we should see him again, and bring lots of snacks and games, as per request.

I thank you all for being here, for helping to celebrate the life of my little boy. On behalf of Timothy—of my son—thank you.

I’d like to say that the prospect of being an author is one I always accepted and was willing to pursue, however, this is far from the truth.

Growing up as the youngest (and only) daughter in a family among three hairy, extremely smelly brothers, it was survival of the fittest. I had apparently decided that the only way to keep up with such a bustling household was to throw myself into as many activities as possible, if only to maintain my clear status as top dog. This long list included soccer, basketball, girl scouts, cheerleading, piano, musical theater, swimming, oboe player, marching band, pacer record setter, among many others.

It also consisted of reading. Extensively.

So there I was; a loud-mouthed, pint-sized pre-teen who brought her current novel of choice to every recess and lunch, poured herself into book after book with no regard for those recommended eight hours of sleep (much to her parents’ dismay).

It was when I hit fifth grade that the concept of writing really occurred to me, brought on by the fantastic and sometimes terrifying Mr. Hrynyk who taught us to show, don’t tell.

Regrettably, this did not prompt an entirely successful thrust into the writing world. I oftentimes toyed with the possibility of sitting down to script out any number of thoughts, though none of these stories ever made it past the first stage. The idea of writing itself remained appealing, still I found myself unable to obtain the motivation needed to move that pen. It was like a cute outfit featured in the display windows of a trendy store; something you may see and admire for a few fleeting moments, yet never actually take the actions to purchase.

While this slump seemed to last for an excruciating eternity, everything changed during my second year of middle school when my mom brought news of our local library’s annual competition, It’s All Write. I was faced with many emotions upon hearing of this: excitement at the opportunity to write for a reason, a purpose, followed by absolute chaos, as the deadline was in less than twelve hours.

The process was truly grueling—one which my seventh grade self thought she may perish from—though finally completing that first-ever story inspired a sense of pride I’d never before felt. Despite my low expectations, I was absolutely ecstatic when the day of the rewards ceremony came at last.

This feeling was shattered upon the unfortunate realization that my story had never actually been received. It did not destroy my spirit, however, and I proceeded to enter that same piece the following year which earned third place, then once more with yet another piece to swipe second!

I have since been actively seeking opportunities to write, participating in a two-week virtual intensive over the summer, and enrolling in my high school’s brand new creative writing elective. The past year has certainly been a strange and busy one, though such times have allowed me to uncover my true passion for the liberal arts. I am always looking for opportunities to learn more and grow as a writer.