Forging Signature | Teen Ink

Forging Signature

September 28, 2022
By GenesisC BRONZE, San Pedro, California
GenesisC BRONZE, San Pedro, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     There was a girl named Genesis who was in elementary school and hated to read. She had a teacher named Olivia, who always gave her a reading log. She thought it was a great idea to start forging the signature on the reading log. Well, one day Ms. Olivia noticed that the signatures were all different. Ms. Olivia asked me to stay after school. The class ended and she asked, "Why are all the signatures so different?" I started to panic, not knowing what to tell her. After thinking about what excuse to make, I said, "I don't know why they are all so different; it's probably because my mother doesn't know how to write in cursive; that's why all the signatures look so different." Ms. Olivia decided to call my mom to have a meeting about the situation. The day came when my mom had to go to the meeting. Ms. Olivia started asking my mother if she was the one doing the signatures. My mom explained to Ms. Olivia, “No, my daughter hasn't given me anything to sign, and perhaps what’s a reading log?" Ms. Olivia proceeded to explain that a reading log was a piece of paper where Genesis had to read and then write how many minutes she read, and her parents' signature was to confirm that she had read. My mom said, “I am very sorry for my daughter's actions. Her father and I will have a talk about this." My Mother and I get home, and I head straight to the room. Three hours passed by, and my dad finally came. I was in my room trying to pretend I was asleep so they wouldn't get me in trouble. My mom started telling my dad what happened and how I had been forging their signature. After five minutes, my dad started yelling at me to go into the living room. When I got to the living room, my dad started yelling, "Are you dumb? This could have sent us to jail. Who told you it was okay to forge the signature?” I was so scared that I was just standing there silently listening. After my parents gave me a tremendous lecture, I went to my room to cry for hours and hours. My parents came into the room, and they told me, "I didn't mean to hurt you, but you had to learn "your lesson." From that day on, I learned my lesson to always obey my parents and never forge a signature without their consent.


The author's comments:

This was something that I did in elementary. I hated to read and thought it was a good idea to start using my mother's signature. I quickly learned my lesson  to never do it again. I want this story to help younger people is never okay to false a signature.