Summer Nights | Teen Ink

Summer Nights

By SJ13 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
SJ13 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Summer nights are beautiful. There’s something comforting about the sound of the crickets chirping: a melody I’ve known for years. The cool breeze whispering in my ears. The clanking of dishes after dinnertime. The faint sound of sprinklers dampening the grass. And most importantly, the night sky; black like ink. When we look at the moon, it’s almost like the man in it blankly stares back. Its gentle, pearly light illuminates the paved roads, guiding us. The stars are captivating. It seems almost magical when we see them shimmer. They hold worlds behind their constellations, filled with kings and queens, hunters and dragons– taking us away from the drab and dreary cities we live in. How I wish I could always have those summer nights…

In this piece, I wrote about a feeling. I described how summer nights feel with imagery and added a little bit of personification. I also used “us” and ‘we” instead of “I” and “me” for the mood. I tried imagery all throughout the piece and personification when I talked about the breeze and the moon. I like the part where I describe the stars the best, I think it adds to the theme of the piece a lot.