Words Hurt | Teen Ink

Words Hurt

By AeshnaC BRONZE, Cupertino, California
AeshnaC BRONZE, Cupertino, California

“How was school today?” the young Jennifer-Anneston-Luluemon tights-live love laugh, mom asked. 

“Good,” her little boy responded. 

“What did you do today?” 

“Good.” 

“You have to say more than good, did anything interesting happen?” The little boy glanced up from his Ipad, and thought for a while. He shrugged. 

“There’s this girl in my class,” he said, not looking up from his Ipad. “She never shuts up.” 

“That’s not a very nice thing to say Jaxson,” his mom responded. 

“I can’t lie Mom. She just keeps talking and talking and talking. Sometimes, people don’t even talk back to her. She doesn’t really have any friends. She just sits there and just talks to herself.”

The blonde haired blue eyed mom leaned in intently, excited her son had said more than one word.

“She wears weird clothes and brings a yucky stuffed penguin to school everyday, and she doesn’t even have a phone yet!” 

“Well Jaxson, not everyone has a phone in second grade.” 

“Thats so lame. Anyways, today she tried talking to Matt, I think she likes him.” 

“You guys are too young to be liking people,” his mom responded, amused. 

“When she tried talking to him about her stuffed penguin he told her to shut up and that nobody cares about whatever she has to say,” Jaxson adjusted the glasses moving too far down his nose for his comfort. “She started crying, and ran out of the room. The teacher had to bring her back in, but she didn’t have her stuffed animal with her anymore. She wasn’t crying anymore though. The teacher made Matt say sorry to her, but it was a very bad apology. She didn’t say anything to him, she just nodded and looked at the ground. The rest of the day she didn’t talk anymore, she sat in the timeout corner, even though she wasn’t in timeout, and just sat there.” 

“Why are you telling me this story Jaxson?” his mom asked, her eyebrows curling up in worry, but still amused at the depth of a story her 9 year old son was saying.. 

“I tried talking to her, but she didn’t talk to me. She always talked. She talked and talked and talked. Matt was probably just joking, but I don’t think she knew.”

“Jaxson, words are the deadliest weapon, you’ll learn this,” his mom said. 

“Cool, anyways, can you buy me this update,” Jaxson asked. 

The girl never spoke again .

This short set piece really tries to hit on the fact that words have an impact and shouldn't be thrown around. The girl you called fat in second grade is still counts calories to this day. The boy you called ugly in third grade is still self conscious today. I hope you like it!