Little Moments | Teen Ink

Little Moments

March 7, 2023
By Anonymous

The seagulls keep us entertained as we watch them dive into the glistening gulf. Waters of blue and teal mix where the Gulf and Bay meet. Shining over us, the blazing sun keeps the water enjoyable. We eat our lunch with the pesky birds begging and bullying us and one another. There is a whole clan of them around us. My mom pieces my dad’s skin with her fear of these animals.
“Go scare them away,” we all tell my little sister.
As she does so she falls into the sand. She has a sandwich in her hand that the beggars want. She flips trying to get away. We all laugh as my grandma snaps a picture of the birds flying over.
The sandwich flew out of her hand towards us. The seagulls dive in to grab it. Me and my parents jump out of our chairs that almost touch the ground. My mom pieces her nails into my dad’s skin as she is afraid of birds. They toss what is left of the sandwich up into the air and have a bird fight over it.
“Why did you guys feed them?” My mom questions with a fearful laugh.
The birds die down as we finish our lunch and the food fades away.The white sand tickles my feet as I burrow them like a bunny. Our sand Turtle lays there like one majestic creature that is being used for seating by the little pests. A breeze slowly washes over and brings the wonderful November air.
We all sit in our chairs by the beach enjoying the sun while everyone else at home gets to witness the cold. My dad opens up a bag of chips. He starts eating while my mom closes her eyes to take in the moment. Un-caring, he sets a chip on my mom’s head. The seagulls fly from above, the hawks of the sea. I notice the chip and hide my face in my hands as I fight the urge to laugh. Minutes go by without her noticing.
The seagulls stare at my mom, trying to make their next move. Their little feet step closer and get on our turtle. My mom opens her eyes, just to realize the birds watching her. Eyebrow scrunching and her head whipping around to see what they are looking at. A nacho cheese Dorito slipped into her lap. My dad looked down at his bag of chips and slowly moved it around to his back.
Just before they were all hidden, my mom glanced at him.
“Bean!” My mom laughs.
The birds fly above in the clouds waiting over the fools that fed them. Gathering all of our stuff for the day, caring as much as we can. Hobble through the sand, dragging boogie boards full of chairs and sand toys. Getting one last look at the glistening blue before tomorrow, the white blanket that reaches it. Saying bye to the birds that kept us entertained throughout the day.
“Good bye beauty,” I whisper.
“See you tomorrow,” Everyone puts in.

Leaving is the hardest part. When little things make you joyful. You remember these moments forever. The little joy the ocean brings. How instead of a screen in front of your face, you have birds being your television. Waves are like the sound of this beautiful work of art in front of our eyes, in our backyards. Little moments take over our world.


The author's comments:

This story takes place on a beach and is used to show that little things make a difference. People spend so much time on technology that they don't get to "smell the flowers" Little things have big impacts, even just sparks of joy and love. Many people just need to feel those moments and give deeper meaning to those.