Angry and Impulsive | Teen Ink

Angry and Impulsive

By henrnewh BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
henrnewh BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania

Brooks and Charlie had just arrived back at Brooks's home in Saint Michaels, Maryland, from a night of drinking at John's house, where their deer friends were just a few houses down the block. Charlie fell, walking through the yard and past the pool on their way to the kitchen. 

As they walked past the large pool with large blocks bordering it, Charlie walked along the edge when a "splash," a loose rock, sent him into the pool. Very surprised, and with a lack of balance, only a drunk could have Brooks fall on his back as he tried to save Charlie from falling. Both in a werid state of shock, they sit there, Brooks laying the grass, Charlie treading in the pool. 

Charlie screams, "My keys, my phone, what the heck Brooks? Your pool pushed me in." He dives down to retrieve what he has been carrying in his hands. Brooks gets up and starts laughing at his misfortune, saying, "Sorry, sorry, chuckle, chuckle, some of the rocks came loose over the winter. They need to get fixed." 

Climbing out of the water, shaking himself like a dog, taking off his shoes and shocks, Charlie tries the unlock button on his keys. "Goddammit, I can't drive home, and my phone is dead. We need to put these in some rice," Charlie says, flustered and mildly angry at Brooks.

They continue the journey to the house, but instead of going straight to bed like usual, they run to the kitchen to put Charlie's things in rice. Charlie rips through the cabinets because it's Brooks' house, not his. Brooks gets angry at his angry search, goes to the cabinet where he knows the rice is, proceeds to plant it on the counter, and yells at Charlie to stop: " Stop, you're going to break something. Calm down!" 

Charlie, a man with slight anger issues, can never handle being told to calm down and yells back at Brooks, "I'm gonna go home; I can't stay the night here with you! I just need to wait for my keys to dry out". 

Both of them couldn't stand to talk to each other, so they walked out to the dock silently to wait for Charlie's keys to dry. Sitting with their legs dangling above the water, time seemed to move slowly. Brooks, annoyed with the awkward silence and Charlie's outburst at him, said quietly, "You should have been more careful walking around the pool." 

Charlie, excessively annoyed by this unneeded and unwanted comment, goes, "forget you, Brooks, im just gonna swim home." He throws his shoes, socks, shirt, and pants onto the dock, looking toward his house across the bay, and flips Brooks off as he swan dives into the bay.

Brooks is trying to stop Charlie from making the impulsive and stupid decision of swimming through the pitch-black water, drunk and angry. He says, "Charlie, stop. I'm sorry. Come back. You have no sense of direction." 

He Continued to swim and only looked Back to utter another, "forget you Brooks." He swims off into the distance. 

Last summer, after a hearty dinner with my brother Charlie and some friends, we found ourselves strolling past a pool. Little did we know, a mischievous rock was waiting for its moment. It launched Charlie, fully clothed with his keys, wallet, and phone, into the water. The sight was hilarious, and it was this funny incident that I seamlessly blended with 'The Swimmer' narrative, making it a joy to write about.