Lacey | Teen Ink

Lacey

By Alexandrathepoet PLATINUM, Leesville, South Carolina
Alexandrathepoet PLATINUM, Leesville, South Carolina

If nothing else, believe in art.
~Unknown

How odd, to blame the getting back together of two friends on the death of a troubled teen, but that’s exactly what happened. It all happened two weeks ago.
I didn’t understand, just months before, we had been best friends. Then Sophie met Lacey. Lacey was new in school, and was instantly popular. The sheer unfamiliarity of her had everyone drawn to her like a moth to light. Sophie was probably one of the most moth-like. She strived for Lacey to notice her, to be friends with her. At first it was sort of funny, but then, Sophie did anything she could to try to make Lacey like her. Lacey was a goth, so Sophie started wearing black, she died her hair orange, and even snuck out one night to have her lip pierced. Her mother was furious. Sophie and I hung out less and less. Eventually, we just quit talking. Every day, Sophie became more entranced by Lacey, becoming less herself as well.

It was the talk of our small town the day a teen aged girl, dressed in dark clothing jumped off a bridge. I was terrified it was Sophie. I rushed to her house, at 5:30 in the morning, praying all the way. Her mom answered the door, she looked tired, but not sad. “Is Sophie here?” I asked, fearing her response. “Yes, she’s upstairs, but I must warn you, she’s pretty upset.” Her mom answered. “Lacey?” I asked quietly. Her mom nodded. I climbed up their spiral staircase, like I used to do every day. I knocked on her door, and waited. “I don’t want to talk to you Mom!” she yelled in a shaky voice. “I’m not your mom.” I replied half-heartedly, I was unsure of my decision to come here now. “Alice, is that you?” Sophie said, coming to the door. “Yeah, it’s me.” Sophie opened the door all the way now. Black mascara ran down her cheeks, and her hair was a mess. “She just….jumped.” She said her voice catching. The tears really started now. I held her in a hug, and then held her at arm’s length. “It’s not your fault, she had problems bigger than you could fix.” I said. Sophie sighed, “I know.” She stuttered. “I’ll always be here for you.” I said. “Thanks, I shouldn’t have forgotten that.” She half smiled.

erika g said...
erika g, Pelion, South Carolina
i love this article you are a great writer keep up the good work

OMG! i love it! but it's sad, you should write more stories but just a little longer.