The First Time We Met | Teen Ink

The First Time We Met

By Mortie PLATINUM, Oak Run, California
Mortie PLATINUM, Oak Run, California

Whats The Point?

It was kind of ironic, really. The first time we met, that is. How we were both in that same elevator at that same time… Weird… I guess it was fate, if you believe in that…

I know my side of the story, at least. And here it is:

It was about five years ago… I was about 15, and I had to get back to my dad, at the top of the parking-building thingy. I decided that since I was on the bottom floor, and he was on the 5th floor, that it would be faster (obviously) for me to take the elevator to where he was.

So I walked to the elevator door and hit the button to summon the elevator. I had to wait about five minutes for it to get to my floor, but still got in it, thinking that it was just slow. I watched the floors’ numbers tick by slowly, and when I had finally gotten to the fourth floor (and another five-ish minutes has passed), I was ready for it to finally get to the fifth floor, when the doors started to open. I was confused at first, because the thing said that I was still on the fourth floor. And that’s when I saw you.

You were standing there, waiting for the doors to open enough for you to be able to walk through them. You were the most beautiful person I had ever seen. You looked to be about 16 or 17, and you had brilliantly blue eyes and golden-brown hair. And the most brilliant smile I has ever seen (although, I didn’t know that until later). You were wearing a plain old’ T-shirt and a pair of holy jeans. Your shirt was almost too small, and it revealed your well-toned body in the most amazing of ways, I thought.

A minute or two later, we were both standing there in the small elevator, watching the doors close. I thought about getting off on this floor, but when I saw that you were going to the 5th floor two, I decided that it wouldn’t be too much later before I was with my dear father again (and that I would have a little longer to be with this gorgeous guy that was now standing beside me), so I stayed in the elevator.

I decided to go for politeness with this stranger, and said “Hello” and smiled.

“Hi” he said back, flashing that amazing smile at me.

When the doors had been closed for a few minutes and the elevator still wasn’t moving, I started to get nervous.

“Um,” I said, “shouldn’t we have moved by now?”

“I should think so,” he replied, “perhaps the elevator just needs its time to think about what it‘s doing?”

“Perhaps,” I said, still not convinced.

When we still hadn’t moved a few minutes later, I had stopped thinking about the guy standing next to me, and started thinking about my dad. And that’s when my cell phone rang.

We both jumped at the sudden noise, and he recovered first.

“I think someone is trying to call you,” he said, when I didn’t answer my phone right away.

“I think I realized that, thank you” I snapped, annoyed by his comment. Then I saw who was calling me. “Dad?”

“Nicole, where are you? You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago. We‘re going to be late now” my father said, annoyance in his voice.

“I know daddy, I’m sorry, but I‘ve been kindda stuck in this elevator for the last fifteen minutes.”

After explaining the situation to him, my father finally let me hang up. He was still annoyed though.

“So your name is Nicole, huh” the guy in the elevator asked, obviously amused by the conversation I had just had with my father.

“Well now I seem to be at a disadvantage,” at this, you looked confused, so I decided to elaborate; “you know my name, but I don’t know yours.”

Your next words were laced with sarcasm; “well, its nice to meet you too, Nicole. My name is Trevor.”

“I‘m sorry for being rude, Trevor. I have just had a rough day, and I know I don’t have an rights to take it out on you.” That was mostly true, I had been having a bad day that day.

“It‘s alright, Nicole,” Trevor said, taking me by surprise by turning to face me full on and saying, “everyone has their bad days, and I‘m going to make yours better,” all the while giving me a half smile that made my heart flutter and my stomach flop.

“Wh-what do you mean?” I stuttered and took a step backwards, running into the back wall of the elevator with a thump.

He, of course, laughed, just making me mad. And because I was mad, I took a step forward, taking him by surprise, and said, in a low voice, “if you think its so funny, then you go out there when the doors open and face my father. You can experience the kind of day I have had today, and you can have some stranger laugh at you. See how you like it.”

Trevor, looking frightened, put his hands up in front of his chest and took a step back. “Look,” he said, ,“I didn’t mean to make you mad, and I‘m sorry if I did, however, I am not a stranger anymore. You know my name.”

All I really wanted to do was slap him and start crying. So I slapped him. I had caught him by surprise, and he stumbled back into the wall, staring at me, eyes wide with disbelief.

“Wha…. What did you do that for?!” Now Trevor was mad.

I went into defensive mode. “You‘re being a d***!”

“That doesn’t give you the right to slap me!”

I glared at him. “I can‘t wait for my dad to get the people to get us out of here to get here. At least I‘d be far away from you.”

“Aww, c‘mon, you don’t mean that,” he said with a puppy dog face.

I just glared at him.

“Okay, okay. So you do mean it. Look, I‘m sorry. Can we please start over? Please?”

I glared at him for a few more minutes. “Fine” I said, “lets start over.”

He looked at me uncertainty for a minute, then stuck out his hand. “Hello, my name is Trevor. You are?”

I decided to play along and took his hand. “My name is Nicole.”

“it’s a pleasure meeting you, Nicole.”

“You too, Trevor.”

“So, are you parked on the 5th floor too?”

“Yes, and I had an appointment that I was supposed to get to about 30 minutes ago, but I‘ve been stick in this elevator for the last 45 minutes.”

“Ooh, that sucks. I was just trying to get home. Mom wanted me to make diner tonight. Guess that’s not going to happen though,” he said, that smile returning.

“Ooh, what were you going to make? I haven’t eaten all day.” My tummy growled.

“Really?!” he asked incredulously, “It’s, like three in the afternoon!”

“I know. I‘m starving.”

“Why haven’t you eaten yet?”

“My father thinks I need to thin down a little.”

“Really…” he said, voice trailing away as he took in my body. “Well, you look perfect to me… Beautiful body… Hair… Face…”

I started to get uncomfortable because of the way he was gawking at me. “Umm, thanks?”

“Oh.” he said, blushing, “I‘m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable…”

“Its okay,” I said, placing a smile on my face. “I don’t usually get complements like that.”

“Well you definitely should.”

“Thanks. What about you? You must get girls all the time, huh?”

“If I wanted them I would, but I don’t often fine girls I like. That intrigue me. Like you.”

“Oh” was all I could think to say. Somehow, we had gotten so that our faces were about two inches apart. My heart was pounding so fast and loud that I thought you would be able to hear it. Then you kissed me.

It was the first time I had ever been kissed, and it was amazing. Everything about it was amazing… the was he smelled, looked…. Everything….

I don’t know how long we stood there kissing, but by the time we stopped, we could hear the rescuers’ voices yelling to us.

And that was how we first met. And here we are, about five years later, with children of our own. I love you, Trevor.

This was inspored my my friend, Natalie.
Thank you, Nat