Coffee: A Religious Experience | Teen Ink

Coffee: A Religious Experience

By lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio
lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio

Live Life Like A Party That Never Ends

Snow whirling and frigid wind blowing at my exposed face, the walk on the frozen cement sidewalk is Purgatory. I step inside the local coffee shop downtown, and I have reached heaven. Completing the Trinity, the barista is God, the steam billowing off the newly brewed cup of coffee is the Holy Spirit, and the aroma from the freshly ground coffee beans is Jesus. A devout member, worshiping every morning, I hail the coffee pot. The coffee itself is the Bible, wholesome and infallible. Remaining pure, coffee is a divine luxury. Scripture is unmarred by artificial substances; sugar and cream are the temptations of the devil. I firmly reject all other beverages, and I refuse to worship false idols; tea is the labor of Satan, and hot chocolate is the actions of demons. Coffee, our spiritual drink, was inspired by the Holy Spirit, brought to life by Jesus, and given to us from God above. Its hot and holy water cleanses me, the beans preach to me the good news, and the soulful swigs absolve me of my sins. It surges through my body and wraps around my soul. I absorb all of the riches coffee has to offer as I savor the java: hot on my tongue, rushing down my throat, and snuggling, warm in my belly. Wispy puffs of steam kiss me gently on the cheek, and I inhale the comforting aromas that dance under my nose as a hot cup is lifted to my face. Cozy thoughts fill my head as angels take me on dream vacations to exotic locations. Brought back to Earth, my thirst is quenched and my life, complete.

As a coffee lover, I used addiction to coffee as my inspiration for writing this piece.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Very good! Your description is incredible, it's so personal and vivid. I enjoyed reading this :)

redcg416 SILVER, Parker, Colorado

People who think sitting in a church will make you a christian must think that sitting in a garage will make you a car.

I'm really religious so I was slightly taken back by this story. But placing that aside I loved the imagery. The piece was short but it wasn't like it needed to be longer. It was interesting.

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

To be honest, i HATE coffee and am not really that religious, but your description makes me wanna reconsider my hate next time i go to Starbucks.......................you weren't kidding when you said this piece was short!! But it IS great at the same time!!

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

Hmm...Interesting. I loved it actually. Really pretty!

Ryter said...
Ryter, Warwick, New York

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift, that is why it is called the Present.

That was really pretty. I don't necessarily like coffee, but now I really want some. I loved the details. I guess I love demons too, considering I love hot chocolate! 

chelliex65 BRONZE, Farmingville, New York
Very good description. Love how you used the senses to describe it, and compared it to religion.

inksplatteredfingerz SILVER, Union, New Jersey

"Where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true--we call it history."--the Wizard; Wicked

this makes me wanna run to dunkin donuts! xD awesome descriptions=). love how you related coffee to the Bible. amazing job. keep writing!

Black_Ink SILVER, Miami, Florida

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - Henry David Thoreau

This was a nice short story, to pass the time(:

"Snow whirling and frigid wind blowing at my exposed face, the walk on the frozen cement sidewalk is Purgatory." - this sentence sounds a bit incomplete, and purgatory is not capitalized, I think?

Other than that, I can't catch any other issues. Truthfully I'm not all that religious myself and found this story had quite clever comparisons(:

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

lol i like this, and i don't even like coffee! (i do however, love apple cider :) ) i liked how everything was exaggerated and the title too. keep up the good work! 

koolwords said...
koolwords, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"Unless you put your whole meaning into something, it's a waste." -Yvonne Tindelll

Well, that was very interesting take on coffee and I do not believe I will ever be able to look at it in the same away again.

The way you connected it to the Bible was interesting as well.

On the whole it was good. It was very good.

wordjunkie BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Wow! as an athiest and a devote coffee hater (It pretends to be chocolate, then tastes bitter...it lied!) I was suprized to find myself enjoying this peice alot. It's well written, and makes me consider trying coffee again...

xx..PieIsAwkward..xx BRONZE, Godfrey, Illinois

"stap it, rahn"

I shall never drink tea or hot chocolate again. I swear by all that is good and holy, (meaning coffee of course), that I shall never drink them again! :]

Elizabeth_Day SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington
I love all of your sensory details!  You can almost smell the coffee. 

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
this is really good...and i no that for some people coffe really is a religous experience!

Yale15 BRONZE said...
Yale15 BRONZE, Deer Park, Texas

"The eyes of others our prisons; their thoughts our cages." Virginia Woolf

good writing i love how u described everything!(:

sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

I also enjoyed this piece, it was very cute and well written. I mean, I understand the idea and I like the premise, and as long as you didn't intend to poke fun at religion, i think it's very good!

charmiypiggy said...
charmiypiggy, Melbourne, Other

You eat food for the enjoyment of it; the fact that it helps you stay alive is just a bonus.

Even though I don't like coffee myself, I quite enjoyed this piece. Everything was so exaggerated as to be amusing. Though some people might disagree that coffee, instead of hot chocolate, is stuff from the heavens.

Your writing is quite good. Nice descriptions. But I shall have to point out that purgatory does not have a capital p. And you sould say what the snow is whirling around, otherwise it sounds incomplete.

'... and I have reached heaven.'

This sounds a little off, somehow. Perhaps you should add a word after it. e.g. and I have reached heaven itself. There should also be a colon after Trinity, not a comma. I think. There shouldn't be a comma after life on the last sentence.

Overall, this piece is good, entertaining, and if I had not once tried coffee and spat it out, I might be dreaming of a cup of this 'heavenly brew'. Good work.