The Day we Met Again | Teen Ink

The Day we Met Again

By Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Love is not someone you can live with, love is someone you can't live without."

"Always stand up for what's right even if that means you're standing alone."

It rained on the day that I first met Jake, or the first time I remember meeting him, anyway. Ever since the car crash last February that had sent me into a coma for three weeks, I've had trouble remembering faces from my past outside of the people I hold closest to me. It was towards the end of one of Mandi's soccer games and I had dropped in for the last five or so minutes of the game because the two of us were going to go to a local restaurant for lunch after the game. It was merely drizzling outside when I first took my seat on the bleachers, and I wasn't expecting to stay long, so it hadn't even crossed my mind to bring an umbrella. But as with everything else in my life, that hadn't gone by as planned.
Within a matter of two minutes after I had taken my seat, the threatening clouds overhead decided to let loose all of the water left in them at one time, causing a complete downpour. I don't remember if I ever liked the rain back before the car accident. I honestly can't recall if it ever bothered me that my hair got frizzy whenever the little water drops collided with it, or if I ever enjoyed the sound of the rain splashing against the ground. But one thing was for sure that whoever I was now was not a fan of it. The dirt under my feet turned into a soupy mess that covered my shoes and coated an inch or two of the bottom of my pant legs. Cold droplets of water pelted me on top of the head, and lightening struck the ground occasionally, threatening to travel closer. But the worst of it was that somehow, the rainstorm reminded me of something, some horrible, terrifying memory that wasn't willing to completely reveal itself to me. And that's what set me on edge the most.
The boy sitting next to me had somehow conjured up an umbrella while I wasn't looking and I felt a sudden pang of jealousy towards him before he leaned towards me and whispered "Care to join me?" he tilted the umbrella and held it over both our heads, shielding us against the cold water droplets. I nodded at his request and he then scooted closer, doing the best he could to cover us both under the black umbrella.
"Thanks," I replied as I brushed a stray lock damp red hair out of my face.
"No problem," he said, "I'm Jake, by the way." There was something about the way he introduced himself, something about the expression on his face that plead with me to make some kind of connection. Something about his expression wanted me to recognize him.
"This isn't the first time we've met, isn't it," I said it more of as a statement than a question, and I saw his face fall just a little.
"Mandi's really good isn't she?" I followed Jake's gaze to where Mandi was standing, high five-ing a couple girls after she had scored her second goal of the game. I smiled slightly at Mandi's success, though I couldn't help being hurt by Jake's sudden change of subject.
"How did I know you before?" I pressed, though Jake seemed reluctant to reply.
"We used to be friends before the car crash," he said nonchalantly, as if it didn't matter, what I don't know if he realized or not is that to me, to both of us, it did. More than Jake knew, it did.
"How good of friends?" I asked eagerly, Jake took his gaze off of the soccer game and looked me up and down, desperately almost, before replying.
"Hope, you really don't remember me?"
The way that Jake looked at me in that moment, the way his eyes fell, the way he seemed to be giving up on hope that I'd remember him, just about killed me. I desperately wracked all my brains, sifted through all my memories; but Jake wasn't there. The face staring at me in the rain was completely unfamiliar.
"I--" I started, almost breaking down when Jake took his eyes off of me "I want to! I want to remember you! I really do Jake, I just--can't right now."
"I should've known," was Jake's only response, and even though he was sitting right next to me, it felt as if he were miles away.
At this remark many people might feel hopeless and hurt, and at first I did, but after a second or two, his sardonic reply only made me mad.
"I didn't choose this, you know!" I retorted, "I didn't want this to happen anymore than anyone else did. I can't control what I do and don't remember from my past anymore than I could've stopped that car from running through that red light!" I could feel the anger boiling inside of me, getting hotter and hotter by the second. "It hasn't been easy piecing back together what I do remember and trying to live off of that! It's not easy getting up every day and not knowing where I came from, or how I somehow got here to be Hope Emerson, whoever she is, today."
Jake stared at me for a minute, clearly taken aback at my reply, there were several moments of silence before either of us spoke again. "I didn't know," he said softly, looking down at the mud pooling around his tennis shoes.
"No, you didn't," I said tersely, "you still don't. And I guess all we can do is hope it stays that way."
"They're not gone, you know." Jake replied, returning his gaze to the soccer game. At this I looked at him quite questioningly before he elaborated. "Your memories. They're not gone. I bet all you'd need is a reminder or something, something to trigger them out of hiding into coming back."
I blinked and stared at him, but didn't reply at first. Was that all I needed? What if an obvious enough reminder could bring my memories back? But then I shook my head slightly, it was a preposterous idea.
"I've been given hundreds of reminders to my past, and not one of them has triggered a memory. Believe me, they're gone." I replied.
Jake's face fell, he took his eyes off of my face and locked them into staring at his lap. He didn't look up as he replied "I see," his voice was small, as if he were a child being scolded.
"But that doesn't mean we can't make new memories," I reasoned. I waited for a second before Jake raised his gaze and his chocolate colored eyes looked into mine once more, and there seemed to be a small glisten in his eyes, a tiny light that had come back to light up his face. It was hope.
"How do you mean?" he said cautiously, but curiously at the same time.
"We start out fresh," I replied as I held out my hand and he took it as I introduced myself "Hi my name is Hope Emerson, I don't believe we've met before."

In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Fantastic! Truly fantastic! Can you rate and comment on some of my work too? Thanks so much!

Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

Lol thank you!  Your writing is really good as well. :)

Jesus_of_Suburbia SILVER, West Orange, New Jersey

"There is only one god, and his name is death. What do we say to death but 'Not today' "
-Syrio Forel, A Game of Thrones

hahaha, i love this! I'm trying to piece a story together about an amnesiac, so this really struck home for me. love it :)

CammyS SILVER said...
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

This is amazing. Glued to the screen again, Allicat! I really, really loved the ending. At first I thought that this was a flashback of some sort to before the car accident, (I think it was: I don't remember if I ever liked rain back before the car accident. that made me think that) But it was really, really good. A definite twist on a normal love story.

Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'll definitely reword your suggestions and look this piece over, thanks again, I appreciate it. :)

Pika_Princess, Escondido, California

This was absolutely fantastic! I loved the plotline and have to admit the ending was a bit unexpected to me. After Jake mentioned little reminders, I thought he was gonna kiss her and suddenly she would remember everything or everything pertaining to him since it did seem as though they were more than friends...but no that didn't happen...not that your ending was bad, it was terrific and so hopeful!

Now nothing major stuck out, but there were some things that I thought could be reworded:

1. Ever since the car crash last Feb. that had placed me into a coma for three weeks...

2. I had dropped in for the last five minutes or so of the game...

3. But as everything else in my life that hadn't gone as planned.

4. ...clouds overhead decided to let loose all of the water stored in them at once...

5. ...whoever I was now, I was not a fan...

6. ...as if it didn't matter, but to me, it did... (the part before that was a bit confusing..)

7. ...giving up on the hope that...

That was all that really stuck out. Hope this helps and I hope that you have a sequel in the works. I'm curious as to what happens next.

Allicat001 SILVER, Waukesha, Wisconsin

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate it, you're such an amazing writer as well!

JustPaperAndPencil BRONZE, Milford, Ohio

The saddest thing in the world, is loving someone who used to love you.

This is Amazing. I Haven't read anything as good as this in forever. Honestly, when she was saying how she couldnt rememember anything and how it hasnt been easy, I teared up a little. Continue Writing please! you have talent!