Graduation | Teen Ink

Graduation

May 29, 2012
By Darbs1325 GOLD, Columbus, Georgia
Darbs1325 GOLD, Columbus, Georgia
15 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is a reflection of intent....love reflects love....hate reflects hate....-Jonathan Lockwood Huie

When the world puts you down, keep your head up!-Anonymous?


“ Even before I opened the letter, I knew what was in it.” I announced to my audience of graduates.

Everyone was quite when I spoke this. None moved in their chairs. No one whispered to their friends. I took a deep breath, looked over the crowd of people. Then continued speaking to them saying, “ What I thought was correct. It was a letter from the college I had applied for. I read the letter slowly. Then I let go of the letter, watching it as it drifted to the ground. I screamed with joy yelling, ‘I was accepted! I was accepted!’ My mother and father hugged me tightly. I was filled with joy. I had been accepted into Tragoona College. The college I had always wanted to study. Why am I telling you this? I’m telling you this because someone people in life have given up on their dreams, like going to their chosen college, receiving excellent grades or even a dream about life itself. I, for one, almost gave up on trying to excellent grades, but I knew that if I did that. I would be sabotaging a dream that not only I, but also my family had wanted me to do. If you try to achieve your dreams; then not only will you achieve them, but you’re also bringing pride to yourself. Dreams are beautiful. Reach for those dreams and you will succeed. Don’t and you probably won’t get the results you excepted. Work hard, believe and have fun throughout, and you will get there.”

I smiled at everyone in the audience. I walked away from the podium and back to my seat. Then the principal, Jane Peterson, called the names of all the graduates. My name was called last because of my last name, Zane. When I received my rolled up certificate, Mrs. Peterson shook my hand. Then gave me a hug, quickly whispering into my ear, “ Thank you for that inspirational speech.” Letting go, she smiled at me happily. I walked back down to my seat. Mrs. Peterson surveyed the area before she spoke again. Then she said smiling happily, “Congratulations, Bermuda High Scholars. I now declare you graduates of Bermuda High School.” Everyone threw their mortarboards in the air. There was hugging, tears and pictures. My said my final good-byes to the teachers of Bermuda High School. Then I went to my parents, getting embraced by my mother’s hug. I looked towards the school and waved good bye. Then I walked away with my parents with a hug grin on my face. This was just another story coming to an end and another was just beginning.


The author's comments:
This is just a piece I wrote for English class... sorry for the mistakes.