No Chance to Stay | Teen Ink

No Chance to Stay

By AlyssaSunico DIAMOND, Taguig City, Other
AlyssaSunico DIAMOND, Taguig City, Other

Intelligence plus character is the goal of true education. - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Music is in a higher revelatiuon than knowledge and wisdom - Ludwig Van Beethoven

Dear Significance,

I can’t help but remember the scent of your cologne. The rumbles of your deep voice as you laugh at me and my crazy antics. I remember the way your hand softly grazes mine as we talk about anything under the sun. Can’t help but imagine your messy hair when you just woke up. You’ve enchanted me.

Do you remember how we first met? We were in Fully Booked and I finally found the last copy of The Silmarillion, and we both reached for it! We settled our dispute and said we’ll just share it. I would’ve never known what would’ve happened next.

I’m not sure if you can recall the mess we made when we TRIED to bake a cake for pi day. Even if it tasted horrible, it was too much fun. The kitchen tiles all covered with flour and our faces splotched with dough on our nose and cheeks. The expression on my mom’s face was priceless! Though until now I’m not allowed to cook in the kitchen anymore, it was worth it.

If I could pin point the moment I realized I was falling for you, it would be when we casually snuck out after the kitchen incident and you took me to this nice clearing. Healthy luscious grass and the clear starry sky overhead. Even though I was completely entranced with the scenery, it was your expression when you looked at me that I knew, I’ve fallen hard.

As soon as it started did it go awry. I noticed that you’ve been wearing caps recently. You just joked and said that you were practicing to become Dick Tracy. But I didn’t buy it.

Day by day, you grew pale and weak. We never went out anymore. Like a bomb that exploded, I was told that you were confined because of terminal illness that you never told me about. My heart shattered more so when I realized I will never see you again.

This might be the first and last time I can tell you. I love you and you’ve brightened my life like no one has ever done and no matter how short it was the impact was grand. I’ll cherish your memory as long as I may live. I wish you could live long enough to read this. Sadly, I can’t be there with you. I would already be in London by the time you get this. But know this; wherever I may be, whoever I may be with, I would still remember and love you.

Yours truly, Oblivious.