The Truth | Teen Ink

The Truth

By WaffleOcean2934 PLATINUM, Rogers, Minnesota
WaffleOcean2934 PLATINUM, Rogers, Minnesota

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

You're walking through a dark tunnel with an empty ache in your stomach and a dull pain in your head. You wonder why it's there. Could it be from barely remembering how you came to this place? You've never seen anything like it before. The tunnel is all-around smooth, which is nice for your feet, except for the rough bumps that come every now and then. You wonder why your feet hurt so much and why you feel nothing but the bone.

The torment in your head and stomach becomes worse. You feel like you're going to pass out as a memory appears and you remember who brought you this pain. The monster. Your body begs to lay down and then just break into pieces. It feels as if you were about to die. So you try to remember what a good life you've led, but all you can think of is the monster that's ruined it. Yes, you think, that beast of a man is the cause of all this physical pain.

Your body weakens with another burst of pain. You can't help but fall over and hear a cracking sound. You can't help but hear a raspy vocal note stuck inside your dry throat. You can't help but whisper "Help" as the voices in your head scream "See what he's done to you. Look at what he's made you become. This is all the monster's fault."

Your weak eyelids flutter shut as everything zooms out slowly. Soon, you can hear nothing except the rhythm of your heart beating slower every second.

When, all of a sudden, a light pierces your eyes. It grows bigger and bigger until it's all around you. Curiosity and annoyance builds up in you until you open your eyes and look.

Your whole life is there; all splashed out onto the walls and you notice two things. 1. They were some of your best days you've ever had with your mother. Those days were the ones you promised yourself never to forget and now you did. 2. The monster is not there.

This alarms you; panics you. You already figured you're at the end of your life, so why can't you see the man who ruined it? Shouldn't you be able to say to him "Look at how you hurt me. Now I'm dying because of you." You realize this was supposed to be your act of revenge against him. And this is not fair. You can't even have the chance to make him feel guilty about what he did.

Frustration boils through your blood. The uncontrollable rush of anger whimpers out. And now, all too soon, the light rushes you and your gathering fear farther and farther into it. "NO" you scream "I didn't make myself die just for this man, just for my revenge." Then,

ZAP! You find yourself alive from the zapping of electricity. Your eyes open and stare at the heads of two paramedics, relieved that you're alive. You slowly recognize your mother's voice saying "Thank God" over and over.

You look down at yourself to see what the fuss is about. You're shocked. You gasp at what you see. A frail skeleton with limp, gray skin stretching over it. You become fully aware of your actions.

You've been slowly killing yourself. You're anorexic. Just because of the man who put his weight on you, around two years ago. You finally remember what you tried so hard to forget. The fear of his actions towards you.

You couldn't breathe; couldn't move, because what he was doing paralyzed you. It hurt so much. Your innocence was over. You had felt your first, horrible twinge of pain that made you starve yourself to death, so nobody could hurt you. Only you would be able to hurt yourself more than what he did to you.

Your mom rejoices you're alive. She grabs your bone of a hand and rubs it to her cheek. "My darling girl" she says "Whatever made you go this far?"

You think about it. There's only two options. 1. Tell a lie and then simply die. 2. Tell the truth and then survive. You decided. You start off with the words that will set you free, finally, after all these long years.

"Here's the truth."

Thank you for your feedback!  I'm glad you liked it.  :)

BlueAndRedInk GOLD, Paducah, Kentucky

"be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry" -James 1:19

wow. this was seriously impressive. i loved how easily it was to place myself in this sitchuation