Breaking and Broken | Teen Ink

Breaking and Broken

By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I stared down at my tattered shoes. The laces were frayed at the end, and the soles were melting away with wear. Shades of brown coated the fabric, and there was a bulge at the toe from my growing feet. I wiggled my toes around in my shoes, moving the bulge from place to place. I was regretting watching that last episode of my favorite show last night instead of studying. My pencil trembled in my grip, slipping to the floor and clacking against the generic white tile.

Stares pointed my direction, and my face reddened within seconds. I hate how blotchy my face gets in embarrassment.

"Ms. Harwell? Do you need something?"

Of course the teacher was talking to me. Why not embarrass me more? My face is already covered in uneven blotches, so why not?

My glasses slipped off of my nose as I bent to retrieve my pencil. They crackled against the floor and tears licked the corners of my eyes. My glasses were broken. Again.

"Ms. Harwell?"

I continued to ignore the teacher, trying to focus on finishing my test with my terrible vision.

I scribbled frantically, not caring what my answers came out to be or whose eyes were drilled on me. I needed to finish this test.

"Ms. Harwell, you can take it later, if you want."

I squinted my eyes harder. My head was starting to throb.

I glanced at my mangled and cracked glasses on the floor. Tears pricked my eyes again, and I felt them start to leak out. I rubbed my eyes in embarrassment. Nobody at this school was going to see me cry. Nobody.

"I'm done," I squeaked, tossing my pencil to the floor.

As I handed in my paper, I noticed the tear stains smudging my answers.

I found this in an old journal of mine... I know it's not my best, but why not post it? (:

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you! I'll search you up later tonight!

Kye-Elipse BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

Don't tell tell me the SKY is the limit when there are footprints on the MOON

i love this piece i really feel that it took a lot of courage to post this piece. i love the imagery and that you wrote what you really thought. great job PS we should talk on the forums i have a couple of topics just look up kyeeclipse :) feel free to comment on any of them

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you so much for commenting. (:

dragonfly95 SILVER, Argaon, Georgia

'' there is nothing to fear but fear its self''

This is a really emotional, honest piece. I like it. Good job. 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Aw! Thank you! (: I didn't think that this was anything special. Thanks for the feedback.

loveisntreal GOLD, Arcata, California

"you live what you've learned." -linkin park

wow this is just flooded with honesty and emotion. i honestly thought it was really good and awesome. thankyou so much for this peice, i can really relate with it.