The Unknown Secret | Teen Ink

The Unknown Secret

December 4, 2008
By Anonymous

Drew was cleaning his room like his mother had already asked ten times, when he heard his Brother Derek yelling for him to come downstairs for dinner. He was excited to get out of his cleaning job. He threw the pile of clothes in his hand down onto the floor, and scrambled out of his room.

He quickly ran down the steps and into the dining room where his mother had setup for their weekly family dinner. He couldn’t believe it, there was no way this was happening. How could this have happened to him? He thought this was all finally over, but he sat down, and kept quiet.

The entire dinner he would not speak a word to anyone. He was too upset, and couldn’t understand what was going on. He couldn’t take it anymore; this dinner had been the worst thing that could possibly happen to him. Silently, Drew ran to his room, and slammed the door shut. The rest of the family sat silently at the dinner table wondering what was going on. They were concerned, and very confused.

The rest of the night, was a quiet one. Drew did not leave his room, and the family slept with curiosity. Drew could not fall asleep though, as much as tried he could not stop thinking about dinner. He wondered if anyone had known what was going on. He was scared they might know his secret. Was it possible? What would happen if they did find out? How would everyone treat him? These thoughts were going through his head all night.


Finally, Drew was able to fall asleep. He knew everything would be fine in the morning. The next morning Drew woke up early showered, and went down to breakfast. No one asked him what was wrong the night before because they were scared of his answer, and his reaction. He acted like nothing had happened so his parents wouldn’t question him, and his planned work. The family sat around the table trying to do a million things at once. Drew and Derek were eating breakfast. Their younger sister Amanda was brushing her Barbie dolls hair, and their parents were revising their files for work that day.
That night when the whole family was home, they sat down to dinner. Nothing happened like the night before, everything was fine. Drew was excited everything was over.