It Was All Just A Dream | Teen Ink

It Was All Just A Dream

By HoyerHoran2016 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
HoyerHoran2016 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

I want to be last, yeah, baby let me be your last, your last first kiss.

You never really understand life completely. Well, not when you're sixteen years old and in high school. When you're sixteen you're supposed to have fun, enjoy your time as an adolescent. I was having fun, I was enjoying my time as an adolescent. The summer before my junior year I had a blast, I was a nanny for three kids. I spent two weeks stage managing a show for fifth through eighth grade students. I spent weekends with my family, and sometimes with my crush. I spent a weekend at an amusement park with my pregnant sister, her boyfriend, and my crush. That was the best weekend before school started. You could say that weekend was worth it, which it was.

My summer was great, I wasn't expecting anything. My sister announced her pregnancy in July. She was eight weeks pregnant, I was ecstatic. Let me explain my sister, she's very social, she's not very responsible, and she thinks she deserves the world. If you couldn't tell, I have some resentment toward her, if you couldn't tell. Oh, my name's Prudence, but people call me Dennie. My sisters name is Lillian, she's 23 years old.
Four weeks ago she had a beautiful baby girl, Savannah. She is an amazing baby, but she's put a rift in my life. My sister decided she didn't want to be a mom anymore, after only three weeks. On social media, she loves being a mom. In real life, she doesn't even do anything. The first week, she was a great mom. I had trust in her, and I thought she would be a great mom for this precious little baby girl.

This morning she literally came into my bedroom with Savannah, handed her to me and said in these exact words, "I don't want to be her mom anymore." I thought she had a bad night, then I remembered that Savannah was in my room all night and only woke up once, at five A.M. wanting milk. Savannah went to sleep at 11:30 P.M. thats when I put her in her bassinet. Why was Savannah in my room? Because her mother didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night.

So, my response was simply a nod. Thankfully it was spring break, and I was able to take care of her during that week. I have my license, so I dressed Savannah, packed her diaper bag, put her in her car seat and into the car. I drove to my mom's office, her whole office heard about the new baby and they all wanted to meet her. I called her and told her I was on my way.

When I arrived at the office, my mom greeted me at the door and took Savannah from me. We both walked to the department that she worked in.

“Mom,” I said.
“Yeah?” She replied.
“Lillian doesn’t want to be a mom anymore.”
The look I received from my mom was both a look of sadness, and a look of anger.
“-Dennie!! Wake UP!”

I woke up from such a horrid dream, the baby isn’t real, my sister is not pregnant, and I’m okay.

This piece was inspired by a real dream I had a few weeks ago. I decided to express it in fictional form.